Lowrance HDS Gen 3 9" - Comments/Advice Needed

SoCalAngler

Lowrance HDS Gen 3 9" - Comments/Advice Needed

Post by SoCalAngler »

Memorial Day special......Found a new one for $1039 ($1299 with 20% off) free shipping and includes the Total Scan transducer.

I fish primarily SoCal lakes, and at times, Colorado River, Lake Havasu, Lake Mohave, etc. Mostly trolling for Stripers but also fish for Cats, Crappie, and Trout

I need a new FF and I know its a little pricey, but had a few questions......

1. Is this Gen3 model on its way out....replaced by Gen4? Is it an older model?

2. Compared to the Elite Ti, how does this HDS Gen 3 compare?

3. Is this price good or about average?

4. Are there other FF/GPS combos I should also be considering?

Thanks!
SoCalAngler

Re: Lowrance HDS Gen 3 9" - Comments/Advice Needed

Post by SoCalAngler »

Also, considering the Hook2 9" with Triple Shot transducer and Navionics+ map. $750 OTD!

Figure, for the kind of fishing I do, this is plenty sufficient.
trophyfishin

Post by trophyfishin »

I think you will be very happy with your purchase. Price is very good, they are trending for 1500-1800.00 on EBay. As for this unit be on the way out, No. the Gen 4 is actually known as the Carbon Model. The Gen 3 is an excellent unit for the fishing you described. I have the same unit on my 23’ NorthRiver and it works flawlessly. The technology in the HDS unit exceeds the Elite Ti Series for all of the “Extras”. Radar, Auto Pilot, etc.. you couldn’t buy a brand new Elite Ti 9 for the price you paid for the HDS. PM me if you have other questions. I have owned one of each generation and been through the learning process with all of them.
SoCalAngler

Post by SoCalAngler »

Thanks for the response. How is the HDS-9 Gen 3 compared to the new Hook2 9 with Triple Shot?

Is the Triple Shot same as Total Scan?

Thanks!