Almanor

Linehand

Almanor

Post by Linehand »

Headed to almanor next week for a week. Never fished it before. Was wondering what to expect this time. Any Info helps. Thanks
jc10

Re: Almanor

Post by jc10 »

Let me know how you do there!

I'm heading up for the 4th of July weekend. I'll take any pointers I can get seeing as though there will be a ton of boat traffic!
z119

Post by z119 »

Was there over memorial weekend fish are behind on beds. Could have gone off this week but will get pushed off again this weekend. Spinnerbaits crankbaits were working. Also lots of fish suspended in 15-16 feet of water crankbaits,spybaits,a rigs were working. Good luck. We’ll be fishing our club tournament this Saturday supposed to be 20-30 mph winds.
Larry Hemphill

Maybe some help?

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I have fished beautiful Lake Almanor for most of my adult life. Vacations, guiding, fun fishing, and even night fishing. And recently - tournament fishing in the spring with buddy Mike Sperbeck. We took 3rd last year and 4th this year at the invitational April tournament. June is a post-spawn month like most other lakes. It may be a little more so this year because of the late spawn. I have fished the east side more in June than the west side. Many smallies recover under the many, many docks around the lake. One of the best techniques to catch those bass is throwing a weightless five inch Senko. You will be able to see some of them dart out from the shady area of a dock and inhale the Senko - if it is color #301. They told me it was their favorite - LOL!! Do watch out for the outside chains which keep the docks in place. My other favorite lure is a 6" Robo worm. Morning Dawn w/chartreuse tail is their favorite, year after year! I will cast it but really prefer to drag it behind the boat, very slowly. There are flats where that is very effective, but other areas are just too rocky. There are lots of off-shore islands, but they don't seem to be as effective as they used to be. Just look for the buoys. I have hooked several big smallmouth on the craw colored Wiggle Wart. Outstanding crankbait up there - maybe the best. Last fall I landed a 4 lb smallie on a Chug Bug topwater lure. If they are in the mood, they will hit topwater after the spawn, but conditions have to be perfect. Drop-shotting works well when the smallies move deeper, but I have had more luck dragging a worm. Beaver type baits will catch their share also. Follow shade pockets as long as you can when the water is very clear. Hope this helps!
Linehand

Post by Linehand »

Thanks for the info. I'll let ya know how it goes.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Super nice of you to share that much detail, Larry. We've never met but I know you're a professional guide. Excellent karma builder IMO......
Water_Dog

Post by Water_Dog »

I was there memorial day weekend. Wind had the water dirty, was tough to bed fish. If its that way when you are there jump on reaction baits or some soft plastics.
Linehand

Post by Linehand »

Almost didn t get to take the boat to almanor. Went fishing yesterday just to get out before the trip to almanor on Monday. Fished for about 30 minutes looked down at the bottom of the boat and my cup holders were full off water. Wtf. Ran back to the ramp pulled her out and found a hole in a water line. Got home and started to really look. A rat had chewed every water line up in that boat. 2 straight days and got all but 1 line replaced. She's fishable but can't use the live well couldn't find the right size water line. So I'm gonna change my career to pest control when I get back. Hahaha.