Berryessa Help

Scott L

Berryessa Help

Post by Scott L »

Looks like my son and I will be able to try Berryessa this Sat. 6/23. Forecast is 106 degrees. I haven't been to the lake...since before BLM kicked out all the privately owned trailers. Maybe 15 years.

We will be coming from Fremont (SE bay area) and would like opinions on the launch facilities available. Which would you recommend for security of the tow vehicle in the parking lot and that would put us close to areas to initially target?

I have no idea if there are any upcoming tournaments, but any information would be greatly appreciated. We will only fish the day, so general areas would be very helpful N, S, E or W? Shallow/Deep?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Scott
Wrknap

Re: Berryessa Help

Post by Wrknap »

Pleasure cove or Markley cove are two I’ve used in the past. $25 launch fee. Stick on points, it’s summer so I would stay shallow, anywhere from 15’ to shore. The tournament schedules (larger ones) can be found on this site.
Good luck!
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

Launch at Capell, no theft on the weekends. You can fish north or south, central lake is boring unless you fish Spanish Flats or the sunkin vineyards. The big fish will not be on points this time of year, small smallies or spots there, unless you are fishing points inside bays or coves, stick to these all day unless you fish offshore flats like up north or the sunkin vineyards, some early spawners have moved out, try throwing a shad colored lipless through there. In the morning, fish topwater, spooks, frog, plopper or poppers. From 10-3pm, fish deeper trees or humps at 10-30 feet, jigs, drop shot or wormin. Later afternoon to evening you’ll find a killer topwater bite from 3pm on. Big buzzbait or plopper, frog. Also, don’t be afraid to throw a glide bait all day when near isolated trees. Keep your distance though, water is super clear in areas. Remember, the fish don’t know it’s 106 out. You’ll catch fish all day. The big girls are in 20-30+ feet of water right now and will move up in the morning and late afternoon/evening.
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

Thanks guys! I had been leaning towards Capell, but wasn't sure if break-ins were an issue and wanted to avoid a ramp if there was a large tourney at a particular ramp.

The info will help us get started and maybe stay late for a shot at a topwater bite.
Bass boy dave

Post by Bass boy dave »

JoeLanghans wrote:Launch at Capell, no theft on the weekends. You can fish north or south, central lake is boring unless you fish Spanish Flats or the sunkin vineyards. The big fish will not be on points this time of year, small smallies or spots there, unless you are fishing points inside bays or coves, stick to these all day unless you fish offshore flats like up north or the sunkin vineyards, some early spawners have moved out, try throwing a shad colored lipless through there. In the morning, fish topwater, spooks, frog, plopper or poppers. From 10-3pm, fish deeper trees or humps at 10-30 feet, jigs, drop shot or wormin. Later afternoon to evening you’ll find a killer topwater bite from 3pm on. Big buzzbait or plopper, frog. Also, don’t be afraid to throw a glide bait all day when near isolated trees. Keep your distance though, water is super clear in areas. Remember, the fish don’t know it’s 106 out. You’ll catch fish all day. The big girls are in 20-30+ feet of water right now and will move up in the morning and late afternoon/evening.
right on the money. top water up north on the grass lines have been working good
Wrknap

Post by Wrknap »

Thanks! I’ll give the grass lines up north this weekend.
Larry Hemphill

topwater?

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Just a quick comment on topwater. That bite is the most on/off bite in bass fishing. The morning summer topwater bite is the best of the day usually since the water is the coolest in the summer. Yesterday was the beginning of our first major heat spell, and the surface temp was already 81 degrees on the surface. I am pretty good at topwater and only hooked one small bass. Was I in the wrong area? Could be - it is a big lake. The 20 to 30 foot bite was excellent in the evening. I would just give it more time in the early morning - move around. But during the summer, the evening bite is more fickle. Don't waste too much time trying to make it happen. The topwater bite usually picks up in mid to late August.
JoeLanghans

Re: topwater?

Post by JoeLanghans »

Larry Hemphill wrote:Just a quick comment on topwater. That bite is the most on/off bite in bass fishing. The morning summer topwater bite is the best of the day usually since the water is the coolest in the summer. Yesterday was the beginning of our first major heat spell, and the surface temp was already 81 degrees on the surface. I am pretty good at topwater and only hooked one small bass. Was I in the wrong area? Could be - it is a big lake. The 20 to 30 foot bite was excellent in the evening. I would just give it more time in the early morning - move around. But during the summer, the evening bite is more fickle. Don't waste too much time trying to make it happen. The topwater bite usually picks up in mid to late August.
Hey Larry! You are right, the topwater bite has been a light switch lately, either on or off. The one consistent topwater bite I have found was fishing grass from mid lake Spanish area on up north. Finding the grass is tough but the frog and buzzbait bite is killer in the topwater windows. Found some big girls in 1.5 - 2 feet of water, buried in the grass in the middle of the day too, usually only see that from mid July -late September, but also found the same size fish on humps in 40 feet of water.