The Good Ol' Delta Struggle

Daniel Rodriguez

The Good Ol' Delta Struggle

Post by Daniel Rodriguez »

I usually tend to launch out of Paradise Point Marina in Stockton... and its probably only cause i suck but what the f do you do when the tides low??? Or when the waters not moving, I dont usually do as bad on high tide but damn do i struggle on low tide almost every time its there. Should I try somewhere else orrr?
I mean yeah a wacky rig but even sometimes thats a struggle...
Ive never caught a punch fish and I sure as **** suck at the too lol
Have not been able to get a frog bite...
I'm just lost
monte300

Re: The Good Ol' Delta Struggle

Post by monte300 »

Daniel Rodriguez wrote:I usually tend to launch out of Paradise Point Marina in Stockton... and its probably only cause i suck but what the f do you do when the tides low??? Or when the waters not moving, I dont usually do as bad on high tide but damn do i struggle on low tide almost every time its there. Should I try somewhere else orrr?
I'm just lost
I like to crank the outside of weedlines on low tide. Run your boat parallel to the outside of the weedline and scrape it clean. However, finding organized weedlines to fish is the biggest challenge of all. Areas that used to be good change over time, meaning the weeds thin out and there's no longer a good weedline. With all this said I have so few productive weedlines I tend to target the high tide.
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

Daniel Rodriguez wrote:I usually tend to launch out of Paradise Point Marina in Stockton... and its probably only cause i suck but what the f do you do when the tides low??? Or when the waters not moving, I dont usually do as bad on high tide but damn do i struggle on low tide almost every time its there. Should I try somewhere else orrr?
I'm just lost
I feel your pain Daniel, low tide sucks. All of the exposed structure is either in a foot of clear water or completely out of water on the bank. Then, all of your submerged grass is creating the surface so everything you use has to be weedless. It’s not the area you are in, it’s the bait and techniques you are using. Find the grass in 2+ feet of water with deeper water available 6+ feet in the area and you’ll be where the bass are. You then have 2 choices, at or below the surface. From there, you have 4 bait options per choice. Frog, buzzbait, plopper, or wakebait for at or above the surface. Below the surface, you’ll need to extend your comfort zone and start punching those offshore grass mats! I know it’s tough, I had the same hesitations and frustrations with punching. Tie on a 3/4 or 1 oz punch weight with a 4/0 hook and your favorite soft plastic craw. Flip until you arms fall off, yo yo the bait, and bam! Piggy on! You’ll need a 1.25 or 1.5 oz weight if it’s thick grass or mats. Also, you can drop shot the grass line, crank it, or if it’s windy, throw a chatterbait around. Hope this helps.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I don't think your alone and that alot of guys when first getting out onto the Delta like the high tide. Mainly because the visible targets are there and it makes it seem easier. When you start talking to most Delta Rats or spend more time on the River you'll find yourself wanting that Low tide or more to the point that Outgoing tide :wink:

I wouldn't be so quick to change locations as a matter of fact my opinion is fish where you were catching them last week on the High Tide or later that day on the high tide. Go back to those areas, those fish are there they just pulled back and are either buried into the weeds or on that outside break line. Once that grass starts to lay down it is perfect to flip and punch - get yourself a 1oz weight and a 1 1/4 and start working the laydown grass.

I find the low tide easier to locate concentrations of fish, if you start to read the grass you will see, points, current breaks and contour changes, just like we have on our Lakes! The other thing to do is to pull that boat out further into the channel and get out that jig to fish the outside grass line down to the ledge.

At first it seems like the most challenging tide but soon you will find yourself cursing a high tide :wink:
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Well said, Ash.
Kyle46N

Post by Kyle46N »

Like Ash alluded to, fish the outside grass lines. You'll need a good pair of polarized glasses. I look for cuts in islands, with current flowing through, then look for 5 feet of water on a low tide. Then...............swimbaits. Keitech, strike king, etc. Any 4-5 inch boot tail swimbait with a 4/0 to 6/0 weighted swimbait hook. Natural colors only, because I only throw this when I find clear water. Smoke or light green's. Run it just above the grass, on the edge, through. Gow with whatever weight you need to fish it slow and at the depth you want. You'll smoke them, and you'll find areas that consistently have fish all summer. One problem......I did this all summer with my kids and wife last summer, and we commonly put 30 plus bass in the boat, and never caught one bigger than 4 lbs. It's a numbers thing, but I was able to put a few 5's and a couple 6's in these same areas going back through with a Texas rigged craw plastic worked real slow, slightly deeper. Last summer was my first year fishing the Delta, and even though I'm stoked I found this pattern, it ends up being a crutch for me too often. I'll leave a slower bite, but with the potential for bigger fish, just to go get bit on this swimbait pattern. It's addictive.
JLBassin

Post by JLBassin »

If you are just cruising down the outside weedline I would also suggest looking for irregularities in the weeds. If you have a weed patch/piece that sticks out a foot further than the weed line think of it like a point on a lake and alot of times those little irrregularities in the grass are where the fish will set up on low tide. Don't be afraid to drop your bait in the indents in the weeds as well, they look like little coves on a lake :).

Another thing I like to do is depending on depth is set up parallel and throw a rip bait as close to possible right outside the weed line. When the tide gets real low I like to think that alot of the bass just look out from the weeds waiting for food to pass right on that edge.

In my experience I love flipping/punching when its still the outgoing tide but very little water left. It can be somewhat easier to pin point exactly where the bass will be sitting on when the water is that low. But it's still fishing :lol: