Man charged with reckless murder in ski boat and bass boat collision

WB Staff

Man charged with reckless murder in ski boat and bass boat collision

Post by WB Staff »

37256245_1315881055213915_2523393041310416896_n.jpg
MOUNDVILLE, Ala. (WIAT) -- An arrest has been made in the July 4th fatal boat crash on the Black Warrior River.

The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA) says 29-year-old Ricky Latham of Tuscaloosa is facing two counts of reckless murder in connection with the boat crash.

Trooper Freddie Ingram says Latham was the operator of the ski boat that collided with the bass boat on Wednesday evening when it was "coming up river."

More info and video at CBS News: https://www.cbs42.com/news/local/man-ch ... 1301658773
mark poulson

Re: Man charged with reckless murder in ski boat and bass boat collision

Post by mark poulson »

I think driver's licenses for all boat operators, just like car drivers, would go a long way to preventing this kind of thing.
It will give boat drivers the same sense of personal responsibility that car drivers have. No one want to lose their license over careless driving.
It won't prevent all stupid accidents, but it will sure give people a clue when they get behind the wheel of a boat.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Bass Pro Shopper

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

mark poulson wrote:I think driver's licenses for all boat operators, just like car drivers, would go a long way to preventing this kind of thing.
It will give boat drivers the same sense of personal responsibility that car drivers have. No one want to lose their license over careless driving.
It won't prevent all stupid accidents, but it will sure give people a clue when they get behind the wheel of a boat.

California is getting to that...finally. This is the closest to an actual license, and I think it's about time for something like this here. Click the link...
http://californiaboatercard.com/
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
drew

Post by drew »

I don't see how a boat driver's license will prevent drunk driving. This is how the cost of living is increased. More regulation and enforcement without any regard for the value and effectiveness.
Bass Pro Shopper

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

drew wrote:I don't see how a boat driver's license will prevent drunk driving. This is how the cost of living is increased. More regulation and enforcement without any regard for the value and effectiveness.
It's not really a boat driver's license as much as an acknowledgement that you took the required boating coarse. Plus, it doesn't have to be renewed every few years -- it's lifetime. I applaud this because at least it will make anyone piloting a vessel know that there are rules on the water. Too many morons out there, and hopefully this will cut some of that down. No, it won't prevent drunk drivers just like a regular license doesn't prevent someone drunk from driving a car. But again, at least people will realize there are rules to being on the water.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
drew

Post by drew »

The morons will get a license and still be on the water with the same MO. We get stuck with a new bill. To sell the concept they water it down with the lifetime concept but it will become an annual requirement and the price will go up in an effort to grow government. I'm not saying your heart isn't in the right, just saying your naive. The cost will be high and the utility will be low.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Frankly, I'm surprised insurance companies even cover boats without some kind of proficiency and safety license.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY