Fishing CA Delta July 19

AKBASSFISHING

Fishing CA Delta July 19

Post by AKBASSFISHING »

California Delta 7/19/2018
Water Temp 74 - 76
Visibility 2 – 4 feet
Wind 10 - 18 mph

A quick report for you guys. Launched at 6 in the morning. A strong Western wind blew. My initial thoughts told me that this would help our bite.

Made a short run to our first spot, a large flat with sparse weeds. Initially, I threw a plopper and got a single fish to go. Knowing the fish were in the area, I went back through it with a chatterbait. That was the ticket and the fish liked it. We boated a respectable number of fish, with the biggest pushing around three-pounds. We attempted to follow this pattern, but the wind was getting worse. That said, our Skeeter powered through the rough water like a champ haha. Two thumbs up from me.

Seeing conditions deteriorating, I made a decision to hit my secondary areas. I think everyone had the same idea since we all were congregated in protected pockets. The fishing in these areas was far from optimal. The big incoming tide hid all fishable cover, which made finding sweet spots extremely tough. We fished this way until noon with OK results. Nothing over three-pounds and even those fish were hard to come by.

Then the wind calmed down. Seeing my opportunity, I attempted to fish some off-shore weedlines. Sure enough, the fish were feeding. Fishing my crankbait over the weeds produced excellent results. Many fish were caught, with the biggest again going just over three pounds. Even had the opportunity to use net on some of the fish. Speaking of net, got the opportunity to prototype a net management system. Its called the NETMAN. Easy to add to your deck, securely holds your net while you run, and easy to remove for landing fish. It’s a nice piece of equipment to have. I'll post pictures of it in my next report.

By late afternoon, I was still looking for a better fish. I took out my handy Senko paired with a Tsuyoi Weedless Wacky Hook and went to work. Good numbers, but nothing spectacular. Then I had my chance.

I misjudged my cast and the wind took it directly into the tullies. So I ripped it out and told myself to re-tie. With my fast drift, I saw an ideal piece of cover. "One more pitch and then re-tie", I told myself. I made the pitch, and then saw my line steadily moving out of the cover. I reeled down to the fish and set hook. I saw the fish open her mouth and proceed to shake violently. About three seconds of her shaking, my line snapped. I’d say she was a good six or seven-pounder. Lesson learned… always re-tie.

Defeated, hot, and tired I made my way back to the launch.

Notes

The chatterbait in windy conditions produced best. Cranks and Senkos also get the mention.

The fish are relating to current big time.

If you can handle the wind, fish off-shore. The better fish are there.
Attachments
20180719_132953_HDR (2).jpg
mark poulson

Re: Fishing CA Delta July 19

Post by mark poulson »

Another good report. Thanks.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY