Ulrtex problem - need advise

nivanov30

Ulrtex problem - need advise

Post by nivanov30 »

Guys,
Fishing delta today and all of a sudden Ultrex stopped working... Interestingly, the electric steering works and unit turns normal (even in spot lock) but the prop barely turns (as if stuck on speed 1) regardless of the speed dial. Checked the battery - all fine.

1. Any quick checks/fixes that I could do myself?
2. Who's the best place to go to to have it fixed (I'm storing the boat at Orwood) apart from default C&C Marine, etc.?

Thank you in advance.
Bsapp

Re: Ulrtex problem - need advise

Post by Bsapp »

Check the wiring. Is it hard wired? Mine was giving me problems, it screwed me good last WNS last week. It was the plug. Wiring wasn't getting enuff connection. Wasn't getting enuff power. Hard wired now it works fine.
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

Pull your prop off and check to make sure you don't have a bunch of line or grass/weeds wrapped around the shaft
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Check your batteries voltage. Mine did that and I found one of my batteries only had 9.6 volts.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
JLS (Jay Liu's Service)

Post by JLS (Jay Liu's Service) »

nivanov30 which Ultrex do you have? if you have a 112 36v make sure that you have at lease 38v then hit the run button and see if you still have the same voltage if it drops below 36v you have a bad battery same applies for 24v system (26v free load then 25v under a load) if all that checks OK, you might have water in the motor. You can call me for more advise 530 246 8051 Jay Liu's Service, Trolling motor repairs. (Redding Ca)
JL

Post by JL »

Hey Jay! Do you have any idea when the new Ultrex with DI will be available? Thanks

JL
dvkawboy

Post by dvkawboy »

Had the same problem with a fortrex . Motor just went bad , had to take it back .
JLS (Jay Liu's Service)

Post by JLS (Jay Liu's Service) »

JL wrote:Hey Jay! Do you have any idea when the new Ultrex with DI will be available? Thanks

JL
Minn Kota had mention it in their news letter, but no date on when productions will began.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

nivanov30 wrote:Guys,
Fishing delta today and all of a sudden Ultrex stopped working... Interestingly, the electric steering works and unit turns normal (even in spot lock) but the prop barely turns (as if stuck on speed 1) regardless of the speed dial. Checked the battery - all fine.

1. Any quick checks/fixes that I could do myself?
2. Who's the best place to go to to have it fixed (I'm storing the boat at Orwood) apart from default C&C Marine, etc.?

Thank you in advance.
If it's still under warranty, take to The Hook, Line, and Sinker in Oakley. They are a factory authorized Minn Kota shop, and can help you.
(925) 625-2441
There is an option for trolling motor service in their phone greeting, option 5.
If it's out of warranty they will charge you $100 just to diagnose it.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Bassfishman

Post by Bassfishman »

My Fortrex did the same thing. Ran fine all day long and quit working at the end of the day. Figured for sure it was low charge on the battery. Next time out with full batteries it wouldnt run. After a lot of troubleshooting on the battery connections and the Control Board I loosened one of the screws holding the cover plate on the motor case right behind the prop. Water came out.

Ive ordered new seals, brushes, and bearings and a few other spare parts just to have if something looks corroded or breaks. Ive seen a few videos online. I'm going to do it myself. Mine is beyond warranty.