Problem - Lien on Boat !

TonyL

Problem - Lien on Boat !

Post by TonyL »

Hey Guys,

Sorry if this is in wrong area/non fishing. Trying to help a friend and wondering if anyone has any experience here.
Friend recently bought a boat, thought he had the pink slip, but only had pink for trailer.

- Original owner sold boat to #2

- My friend bought boat from #2, 450 miles from us, realized later that he had only trailer pink, signed release of liability papers, letter from original Lien holder to original owner stating that the loan had been paid off BUT bank did not include Hull ID # in letter !

- #2 swears that boat pink was included with all paperwork; it's lost. #2 now not helpful, no contact info for original owner.

- Original bank/lien holder now gone. Friend was able to locate financial institute that took over and they acknowledge that they are responsible for any old business but haven't been very helpful so far.

- Friend just needs same letter including Hull id# rewritten.

Apparently bank has 30 days to respond. My question is what happens when 30 days passes ? Friend does have email paper trail to institution, as well as Fax report, both with dates proving that he has made the attempt. DMV clerk not very informative - surprise ! I'm assuming that there is some sort of DMV process ??

Any word of experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
~ Tony
Top'r

Re: Problem - Lien on Boat !

Post by Top'r »

The clerk at DMV will not normally understand this complicated of an issue. Paper trail is extremely important, and when you go back to DMV request a personal meeting with the Manager/ Supervisor. Find out in advance who is the Highest ranking person at that location. It worked for me when I bought a non-op 1958 Chevy truck, No Title, No DMV paperwork at all. The only thing I had was the original license plate, and a $ 25.00 hand written receipt from the daughter of the deceased owner.
It will take at lot of work, don't take no for an answer, and at all times,,,, Be Nice. Good luck.
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

Thanks for the info Topr!
~ Tony
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

I may have knowledge in this area from my automotive background. First question, is the trailer the original trailer when new? If not, boat could be stolen cause anyone can go buy a trailer and have the pink slip to it then steal someone’s boat and load it up on the trailer, sell the combo. Second question, does your friend have the registration & CF #? If so, when does or did it expire and does the registration match the seller? If it is registered to #2, the seller, #2 would have to file a loss of title application with the DMV and pay the duplicate title fee, send both to Sacramento. It’ll take a while to get a duplicate title. Then #2 can sign it over to your friend once he receives the title. If boat is not stolen and he has a paper trail but info and title are missing, try having the CHP verify the HIN and then take that info and the boat to the DMV with all the paperwork and stories. Wait for 3 hours, but he’ll eventually be helped, may be helped by the dumbest person alive that trip though... may have to go back again and again till you finally lose your mind cause everyone working there is an idiot! I would call a boat dealer and ask for their opinion of what to do.
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

Thanks Joe,

Trailer looks original to boat. Registration has CF # on it, was expired, in original owner's name until my friend paid it current.Reg shows my friend's name now, but is stamped incomplete.Lady at DMV was moving forward until she noticed that the letter from the bank to the original owner stating than the loan had been paid off did not have the boat HIN on it. Almost !
Appreciate the advice !
~ Tony