Two Extremes

ttb31183

Two Extremes

Post by ttb31183 »

This weekend I spent three days on Potholes Reservoir both practicing for and competing in a tournament. The fish were really biting and some great bags were brought to the scales. I had a good practice and solid first day but the heavy winds hurt my offshore bite the second day. Looking back I thought it was funny how my two best patterns were about as different as you can be.

The first pattern was deep cranking with a Strike King 10XD. This requires some big gear and I think some dedication to throw it so much. My wrists and forearms were pretty sore after three days of it, but the fish that ate it were all quality fish.

On the other hand, I was also catching them on a spinning rod with a 6lb test leader. Totally opposite of the big crank but surprisingly it produced some of my better fish and plenty of action to fill out my limits. It was funny to pick up this rod after cranking for some time because the rod felt like nothing in my hands.

One of these came cranking and one came on the "fairy wand".

I shared this in a post last week, but the Navionics app really made a huge difference this week. I used the water level correction quite a bit, but the satellite overlay on my Platinum card also helped. Here is what it looked like with the overlay.

I ended up finishing just out of the money but had a great time. Potholes is really one of the best fisheries we have in the northwest.
Tyler Brinks