MLF vs. B.A.S.S. | An insider's look ... One pro's opinion...

WB Staff

MLF vs. B.A.S.S. | An insider's look ... One pro's opinion...

Post by WB Staff »

Written by Bernie Schultz

...MLF vs. B.A.S.S.
For the former Elite anglers who signed up for the new MLF Bass Pro Tour (BPT), I wonder how much greener that pasture will truly be. The promise of reduced entries, higher payouts and better exposure must have been attractive, but it leaves a big question unanswered.

Can MLF deliver on those promises?

They have a strong presence in television, and the company behind them has other platforms, which they say will be developed. But can they elevate the careers of so many anglers beyond the levels they could attain with B.A.S.S? If they don’t deliver, the sponsorships of many MLF anglers will be in jeopardy after just one season.

I’m sure there were other motivating factors for making the move. A new tour offers a new beginning, and for some that could jumpstart a career. For others, it could mean a second chance. Still others, I’m certain, made the move because of peer pressure.

In an effort to thwart the exodus, B.A.S.S. quickly modified its entry-payout equation — making it more attractive than ever. But it was too late for some. Once those with the most influence made the move, others followed.

As I write this, I’m certain I’ll be called out for these assessments, and accused of sour grapes. Yet, while it’s true that I was not offered an invitation to participate on the BPT, I know the best move for me would have been to decline.

Yeah, it stung not being among those chosen. Everybody wants to be invited to the party, even if they don’t want to go. But I’m glad I didn’t get an invite. B.A.S.S. is my home. It’s where I built my career, and it’s where my sponsors want me.

As an organization, B.A.S.S. will survive. And those of us who stand with them will be rewarded for our loyalty. I’m sure of it.

To those who moved on, I wish them nothing but the best.

this article in entirety is on Bassmaster: https://www.bassmaster.com/bernie-schul ... bass-tours
jiggin4bass

Re: MLF vs. B.A.S.S. | An insider's look ... One pro's opinion...

Post by jiggin4bass »

They dont have the best 80 pro anglers in that field. And Mr. Schultz is right you were invited and if you dont perform in that first year.They will replace you with somebody that can. I see three pros that are on the backside of there careers fishing in MLF lets see what they do. Go through the list of angler and see there stats.And look who they didnt invite some big names are missing.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Original Lion collar jig
Building and fishing custom bass jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

"In an effort to thwart the exodus, B.A.S.S. quickly modified its entry-payout equation — making it more attractive than ever."
If not for MLF, this would never have happened.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

Did FLW dissapear? Anyone remember when Forest L Wood owner of Ranger boats at the time stared up FLW tournament trail before B.A.S.S. had the Elites? FLW gave anglers a new choice to make money bass fishing. B.A.S.S hasn't ever supported western tournaments on a regular bases, if you want compete in B.A.S.S. you moved to be nearer to the events.
B.A.S.S. makes money from memberships, tournaments, advertisements in their magazine and sponsors at the events. MLF isn't dependant on memberships, magizine advertisement or the tournament sponsor participation at weigh ins, it's all about TV air time revenue and advertisements, different revenue stream then B.A.S.S.
It's going to be a uphill battle for B.A.S.S. and FLW to compete with MLF.
Tom