U.S. Open Day 1 Cancelled

Moderators: MKA, Mike M, Caudawg, ash

WB Staff
Posts: 6519
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:56 am

U.S. Open Day 1 Cancelled

Postby WB Staff » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:12 am

lake mead wind.png



Day One of the 2018 WON Bass U.S. Open Cancelled Due to Unsafe Conditions
Extreme Winds Force Event Officials to Shorten Tournament

Las Vegas, Nev. – Due to extreme winds out of the north buffeting the surface of Lake Mead, WON Bass Tournament officials have been forced to cancel the first day of the 2018 WON Bass U.S. Open due to unsafe conditions. Sustained winds of 25 to 35 miles per hour, with projected gusts to 50, created a situation where participant safety became paramount.

The event will commence tomorrow with takeoff from Calville Bay Marina and the event will now become a two-day tournament, as opposed to the standard three-day format.

The 224 boat field gathered for takeoff on day one, and tournament officials conducted boat checks, but staged the field in the parking lot to allow officials to decide what the best option for the day was. After safe light, Tournament Director Bill Egan took a ride into the main basin outside of Calville Bay, and returned to make the announcement that the event was cancelled.

Egan said the situation on the water was uncomfortable at best. “Once we got outside of the marina, it became obvious that safety was a concern,” said Egan. “It was a really tough decision, but our anglers and friends are the most important part of what we do, so the decision was made to cancel the first day of the event. We will resume tomorrow with the same boat order as was planned for today.”

Rick Pierce, president of Bass Cat Boats said agreed with the decision. “Our customers are our friends, and we want to make sure everyone is safe,” said Pierce. “This is a unique event, and when you factor in the AAA anglers who have to go along for the ride, we are wholeheartedly in support of the decision.”

The 2018 WON Bass U.S. Open will commence tomorrow, and the full field of anglers will compete for two days to crown a champion. As for the past six years, the Costa Live broadcasts will begin at 9:00 AM Pacific Time on day two.

Larry Hemphill
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:08 pm
Location: Yuba City, California
Contact:

Re: U.S. Open Day 1 Cancelled

Postby Larry Hemphill » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:55 am

Even though the call to cancel the first day was absolutely correct, I can't imagine the letdown when everyone is sky high to get out there and DO IT !! I hope tomorrow will bring much better conditions for safe boating.

george
Posts: 766
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 8:53 am
Contact:

Re: U.S. Open Day 1 Cancelled

Postby george » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:30 am

You have got that right Larry! I have been pumped about this event for weeks! Woke up got ready and met up with partner and watched the trees to see if the wind was going to be a factor and it was! Billy called it early and decisively and like always he was watching out for four hundred and fifty anglers.
It is now 12:20 and instead of being on Lake Mead fishing in a tournament with some of the biggest names in the business I am sitting in a laundry mat in Boulder City trying to dry out my sleeping bag I turned the ice chest over on; talk about going from a high to a low in just a couple of hours! Lol
But when I look at the bright side of it I am tied for the lead (AAA) of the US Open going into day two!

Larry Hemphill
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:08 pm
Location: Yuba City, California
Contact:

Re: U.S. Open Day 1 Cancelled

Postby Larry Hemphill » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:18 pm

Wow George, with that kind of lead in the tourney (first), you are sure to win! Or - were you last place? LOL!!!!
Seriously, thanks for the reply and have fun tomorrow!


Return to “Fishing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bassman97504, Bruce Theriot, FredP, LTNfishing, monte300, steve0806 and 56 guests