Fall Fishing Question

bassman97504

Fall Fishing Question

Post by bassman97504 »

I haven't fished much in the Fall (usually hunting) bit I am looking at making a trip to Tenmile lake which is on the Oregon coast in a week or 2. My question is whether it's better to fish or which weekend would you choose

1. next week will have 3 days of rain and then a few days of sunshine which I would be fishing on the sunny days after the cold front or
2. the week after that is during a time of consistent rising temperatures and sunny skies for a week I'd be fishing the weekend towards the tale end of the sun and right before another cold front.

For example next week it will rain Monday-Thursday of next week and then have 3 sunny/cloudy days which I would be fishing or
the next week after that will have sunny skies almost all week with the temperatures increasing all week then a cold front. The days I would fish would be sunny skies.

which weekend is usually a better scenario for Fall fishing?
ttb31183

Re: Fall Fishing Question

Post by ttb31183 »

Hi bassman,

I haven't fished Tenmile but fish often in the northwest this time of year. It's actually my favorite time of year to go out. I like the worst weather days and the coldest honestly. That is always a good sign for the fish that it is time to feed for the winter. It is not always the most comfortable to fish in, but the bigger fish bite much better. I'd pick the coldest temps you can.

Good luck, I hear the fishing can be great there.
Tyler Brinks
dburk200

Post by dburk200 »

Hey Bassman, This is Darryl Burkhardt a member of the Nixon's marine Fishing Team... I fish Tenmile often and the fall bite can be good.. I don't prefer the sun on that lake, It typically fishes better under rainy conditions. But to answer your question, I would go the second weekend after a week of stable conditions... Jigs, Sinkos Rip baits, and square bills will all work... Check the pads, grass edge and laydowns.. Good Luck.
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

In the fall, weather patterns will not have much affect on the bite. Wind and or low lite will help with turning on a reaction bite due to water stir up, sound, water clarity, and lite. Bass are affected by three coinciding factors in the fall. The first is water temp. The water temps are starting to drop from the 70s and 80s down to the 60s and even 50s due to the shorter days and cooler nights. This temperature change will turn the fish into active feeders. Summer and winter is more stale due to the consistent hot or cold water temps. The bite will turn hot during the stale seasons when the low pressure systems move in and affect those consistent water temps warmer or colder.

The second factor is food source. Most lakes have craws, bait fish and or shad. In the fall, the shad and bait fish will school then begin to die off. The bass will also school, but not to die, to feed on these schools of fish, easy meals. Because of this, fall can sometimes be tough to locate bass. If the bait are deep, tight, hard to locate the bass will be deep, tight, and hard to locate. Also, you need to be patient. They are constantly eating this time of year, they may not want your bait at the exact time your fishing.

The third factor is grass. The grass starts to die in the fall. This means less shallow structure. You’ll need to look for more humps, rock, wood, etc deeper now, deeper ambush spots to feed on those bait fish.

It’s fall, find the bait, you’ll find the bass and lots of them! Don’t worry about the weather, pick a weekend you want to go! The baits I would have tied on would be: 1/4 - 1/2 underspin with your favorite 4 inch paddle tale, a 1 1/4 oz spoon, a drop shot, a Ned rig, deep crank, chatterbait, lipless, and maybe a A-Rig. Shad, white, and or purple colors.

Have fun out there!
bassman97504

Post by bassman97504 »

Thanks guys for the information. It's very helpful. You all got me excited that the bite may be good, might have to see if I can fish both weekends to test the theories. At least that's what I'll tell the wife. Testing fisherman's theories. All done in the name of research. HaHa.

Is there a topwater bite at Tenmile this time of year?
WRB

Post by WRB »

Haven't fished Ten Mile for a long time. What I remember is the lake fishes shallow, less then 10', mostly shore oriented target bass with lily pads in coves. Jig, T-rigged creatures and frogs would be my guess. Stable weather is generally better in the fall nearly everywhere when available, I would be concerned with a turn over.
Tom
steve black

Post by steve black »

Awesome lake, I wouldn't forget small swim baits, around ambush cover, smaller A rigs etc. Really enjoyed fishing that lake when we I visited. Just one thing... take care of your resources ''Practice Catch And Release'' It seems as if Bass are not the main species up your way, I maybe wrong but just in case. I've always not worried about the weather and just gone fishing, the best days are when you figured them out, the bass will tell ya what to do, per the conditions :D . Just be opened minded on what they want. Good luck and post some pictures, it's a awesome lake.
Steve.