Bass Pro rods and reels

riceman

Bass Pro rods and reels

Post by riceman »

I'm looking for any personal reviews or experience with BPS rods and reels. I just bought a boat and get 20% off their line of products. They seem to have them priced for any budget so figured I could save some $ if they're worth it. I think I can get 10% off any other product line as well. Thoughts?
Whoopbass

Re: Bass Pro rods and reels

Post by Whoopbass »

I haven't had any luck with their stuff priced $100 or less. Reels suck and the ceramic guides fall out of their rods.
Never tried their high end stuff.
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

Love the BPS Pro Qualifier baitcast reels. I have about two dozen of them and have been abusing them for over 8 years now without much issue. I used to only use Curado B’s but have pretty muched switched over to Pro Qualifiers. Excellent performance, I wont go so far as to say they’re built as well as Curado’s but for the price they are outstanding. Regular price is $99, frequently on sale for $79, and around Xmas they can be had as low as $49. Ive had excellent success with the Plueger spinning reels too (President model I think)

Dont like BPS rods, but thats just my personal preference.....love the Cabelas Fish Eagle rods for $59 (7’ heavy and 7’ med-hvy) which are now owned by BPS
cdrake

Post by cdrake »

BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER wrote:Love the BPS Pro Qualifier baitcast reels. I have about two dozen of them and have been abusing them for over 8 years now without much issue. I used to only use Curado B’s but have pretty muched switched over to Pro Qualifiers. Excellent performance, I wont go so far as to say they’re built as well as Curado’s but for the price they are outstanding. Regular price is $99, frequently on sale for $79, and around Xmas they can be had as low as $49. Ive had excellent success with the Plueger spinning reels too (President model I think)

Dont like BPS rods, but thats just my personal preference.....love the Cabelas Fish Eagle rods for $59 (7’ heavy and 7’ med-hvy) which are now owned by BPS
Ditto. The Pro Qualifier is a great reel, I still have a few in the rotation. Personally, I think there are better quality rods out there, even with your discount at whatever price point you're looking for.

The biggest problem with the BPS brand is when it comes to the service. Specifically with the reels. If you try to take them anywhere but BPS to get serviced they won't touch them as they can't get parts. Alternatively, if you send them to BPS (Oklahoma if i recall) I didn't see them for 4 months, and from what I hear that was just about standard. I now service them myself.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

I bought two Pro Qualifier's for $50 each on sale. Neither one would cast worth a damn. I cleaned em out with a sonic jewelry cleaner and then re-lubed. Still wouldn't cast worth a damn. Maybe they were part of a bad batch??

I have three BPS rods and all of em has lost at least one ceramic guide insert. I just crazy glue the insert back in and they hold.
My St. Croix rods on the other hand have held up to some major abuse. St. Croix will be the only rods I buy from now on.
riceman

Post by riceman »

Thanks for the input guys, so many choices out there. I have a friend who still fishes with an Ugly Stick and an old Mitchell 300, he also bought a 1000 yds of mono once for cheap, cast a spinnerbait a long ways because the line broke in mid air. No point in saving a lot of money for something that is not want you want although the Pro Qualifier may be worth a try and hopefully from a good batch.
LEN B

Post by LEN B »

CarbonLite 2.0 Rod and Reel Combo. Take a look at these. You will also save more when you get them as a combo. Len
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7dd34b3127ccec0ca2f54d84500000010O00AbtGbho2bsmIPbz4Q/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/[/img]
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

My Partner Mark likes that BPS Pro Qualifier as well. I picked it up and made a flip with it yanked a fish out and then looked down at what reel he had the jig on - it was the BPS i thought it flipped smoothly and worked well yankin that fish out of the tulles. Although not my bag I would say its a nice value reel. I dont know about their rods - personally i would look at other boat accesssories or perhaps the BPS 100 MPH rain gear vs a BPS rod.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Popper

Post by Popper »

Spending $20k - $80k on a boat, and then bargain hunting for Rods/Reels (tools) never made much sense to me.
But it’s understandable considering buying a boat is a major purchase today.
-I guess

BPS rods and Reels are fine, but I prefer the higher end brands.
Reason:
I’ve used many of those inexpensive brands over the years only to replace them with specific higher end products.