Dual Axle, Garage, Best Way to move boat

R. Duzac

Dual Axle, Garage, Best Way to move boat

Post by R. Duzac »

Just picked up a new/used boat with Dual Axle.
Maneuvering it in the garage is a pill.

What do you recommend.
Looking at Car Dolly's
What Brand????

Thanks,
Rene
Rich hamilton

Re: Dual Axle, Garage, Best Way to move boat

Post by Rich hamilton »

https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-lbs- ... 61917.html

Use two, one on each front tire. I called Ranger trailers because I was concerned about potential axle damage and this is how they move them in the showroom.

Since the trailer is new to you, check your trailer axle welds, look for rust, corrosion and any damaged areas. If your axle has "trailer coating" pay close attention to potential damage under the coating if visible. I know it is not what you were asking about but it is an often over looked maintenance item. RR
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
hydro

Post by hydro »

I read something on this subject written by a guy with a Basscat . He said if he cranked his tongue jack as far up as it would go the front trailer wheels would raise off the floor slightly and he could pivot the trailer on the back two wheels for maneuvering in the garage . Might be worth a try...
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I read here years ago that backing up onto two trash bags for each side of the trailer, one bag per wheel, will make moving the trailer easier. The two layers of plastic make a very slippery surface. Don't ask me how I know, but it is true. :lol:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
R. Duzac

Post by R. Duzac »

Thanks,
This is the information I was looking for.
I think I will be investing in a couple of the tire jacks.
At first I will go with two, but in the future I may invest in 4, then I could literally back the boat straight into the garage and just shove it into place. It's a tight fit.

The boat/Trailer is only a year old so no rust and very well built that I can see.

I bet that if you did jack the front one up enough you might lift the front tires. Think I will try that one out of curiosity.
I had also read a lot of articles in the past. Spraying Soap on the Garage Floor, Using Cardboard. Those might work but this setup is so darn heavy I think I will need the extra help from the jacks.

Thanks Again,
Rene
Chomsky

Post by Chomsky »

Rich hamilton wrote:https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-lbs- ... 61917.html

Use two, one on each front tire. I called Ranger trailers because I was concerned about potential axle damage and this is how they move them in the showroom.

Since the trailer is new to you, check your trailer axle welds, look for rust, corrosion and any damaged areas. If your axle has "trailer coating" pay close attention to potential damage under the coating if visible. I know it is not what you were asking about but it is an often over looked maintenance item. RR
Plus 1. This is the easiest way to maneuver my boat and be able to angle it into the garage and hook it up the truck.
Pat

Post by Pat »

hydro wrote:I read something on this subject written by a guy with a Basscat . He said if he cranked his tongue jack as far up as it would go the front trailer wheels would raise off the floor slightly and he could pivot the trailer on the back two wheels for maneuvering in the garage . Might be worth a try...
The opposite may also work, lower the tongue till the jack bottoms out, this should take a lot of weight off the rear axle and allow you to maneuver easier.
Last edited by Pat on Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old dog

Post by Old dog »

Look at the video for Trailer Valet. I got the drill adaptor and move my dual axel with no effort using a cordless drill.
DAVE MOEN
Old dog

Post by Old dog »

I used to use plastic sheeting. 6’ wide 10’ long. Fold the sheeting twice so it’s 2’ wide X 10’ long. Once your trailer is on the plastic you can turn & push it fairly easily. Nothing beats the Trailer Valet.
DAVE MOEN
BFerris

Post by BFerris »

Any of the old dine in Trays from any fast food joint under your front tires work like a charm...a little hillbilly but it works lol.
https://www.facebook.com/TKOTungsten/
www.TKOTungsten.com