Any one have info on klamath lake? klamath falls, ore

scott h

Any one have info on klamath lake? klamath falls, ore

Post by scott h »

Just wondering if any one knows if there are any bass in there?
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
Bill K

Re: Any one have info on klamath lake? klamath falls, ore

Post by Bill K »

I have heard that is only holds trout, but some large brown one's especially. Bill K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

I know Iron Gate has some decent bass in it, but Klamath, I dunno.

BassManDan
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

BassManDan wrote:I know Iron Gate has some decent bass in it, but Klamath, I dunno.

BassManDan
Iron Gate and Copco both have bass.
scott h

Post by scott h »

I lived on the sprague river for a few years and caught alotta bass out of the river,I was just a kid with no transportation back then. On my way home from the columbia river national gaurd last year I was driving by klamath lake thinking if there were bass in there what great lake to have some major tournies!!!!!! It's huge and there are a number of accommidations in nearby k-falls, just looks to good to not have bass in it!! Sprague river dumps into the williamson river which dumps into the lake.Also there are yellow perch in the lake but never heard any thing about bass. Just curious. Klamath bassmasters ? any info from that club????
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
NaCl

Post by NaCl »

Many years ago, my son and I used to fish for trophy trout on Klamath Lake. They were caught trolling Rapalas or throwing them up next to the tules. When we got bored, we dragged plastic worms in deeper areas looking for smallmouth bass that a locl guide said were there. We never got bit

The official guides claim the lake holds: trophy sized Redband trout, yellow perch, brown bullhead.

.....NaCl
longshot

Post by longshot »

I talked to a couple guys i was fishing the holder with and they were from Klamath Falls and they said no bass in there but the ave size of the trout there is 5lbs.
LS
Paul Z

Post by Paul Z »

as a founding member of klamath bassmasters in 1978 and a member over a 35 year period i have never seen or caught a bass or know of any ever caught. the club did a project with ODFW in the eighties to see if bass could survive in klamath lake and the results were poor. only bass at the inlet and outlet survived any length of time. since the ramp is 2 min from my house i fish for lake trout in the spring when the ice breaks up till the small lakes with bass thaw in the surrounding hills. klamath lake is over 90,000 acres of shallow water with a peat muck bottom and rocky shore. avg depth 6 to 11 ft. only two small spots i have found over 25 ft. no food supply to support bass. have caught yellow perch in the upper tule areas during the spawn run. whhen the summer temps hit the algae dies off and the lake becomes a smelly mess. even the trout leave the main lake because of lack of O2 and hang out in the river mouths. good trout fishing in spring and fall only. klam lake is elev 4150 and the lakes with bass around klamath avg 5000 ft or close to it we have a very short fish growth season here.
Richard - Sonora

Post by Richard - Sonora »

Several years ago I posed that question to Oregon Game and Fish. Their response was that bass species could not reproduce in the Klamath Lake waters because of the pH (acid/alkaline) levels.