How about a 10 Pounder... when You're Trout Fishing?

WB Staff

How about a 10 Pounder... when You're Trout Fishing?

Post by WB Staff »

Texas Parks and Wildlife reporting for #FishFaceFriday, how about someone who unexpectedly caught a 10.4 pound largemouth bass while targeting trout?

Jack from Richardson, TX brought her in on a fly rod earlier today.
Attachments
47689329_1912176342163649_5243394665931079680_n.jpg
mark poulson

Re: How about a 10 Pounder... when You're Trout Fishing?

Post by mark poulson »

Wow!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

Texas State record LMB was caught by a crappie fisherman! Rod & reel looks like a Spincast outfit to me. I remember when a youngster caught a 16.4 lb bass at Miramar in the 70's on a cheese ball!
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

WRB wrote:Texas State record LMB was caught by a crappie fisherman! Rod & reel looks like a Spincast outfit to me. I remember when a youngster caught a 16.4 lb bass at Miramar in the 70's on a cheese ball!
Tom
If he was fishing a cheese ball, he was probably fishing for catfish, so his rig was probably up to the task.
I can't imagine fighting a 10 lb bass on a trout fly rod. I wonder how long it took him to land it.
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

mark poulson wrote:
WRB wrote:Texas State record LMB was caught by a crappie fisherman! Rod & reel looks like a Spincast outfit to me. I remember when a youngster caught a 16.4 lb bass at Miramar in the 70's on a cheese ball!
Tom
If he was fishing a cheese ball, he was probably fishing for catfish, so his rig was probably up to the task.
I can't imagine fighting a 10 lb bass on a trout fly rod. I wonder how long it took him to land it.
Size 14 gold treble hook fishing with Velveta cheese off the kids docks, he was only 12 years old.
Then there is Dave Zimmerlee catching the 20 lb 15 oz bass, the one time state record, from Miramar in '73 using a Zebco 33 combo so he claimed. The 18.18 lb Texas record was caught on a crappie jig in Jan.
Lots of strange bass catches.
Tom
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

it seems like every year we read of stories of guys shore fishing for trout using power bait and catch monster bass. Those monster bass are there probably looking for trout, see one who is pre-occupied by a cheese ball and gets a gill flare - the trout gets away and the bass sucks in the trout bait.

Great catch!
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

WRB wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Tom
Size 14 gold treble hook fishing with Velveta cheese off the kids docks, he was only 12 years old.
Then there is Dave Zimmerlee catching the 20 lb 15 oz bass, the one time state record, from Miramar in '73 using a Zebco 33 combo so he claimed. The 18.18 lb Texas record was caught on a crappie jig in Jan.
Lots of strange bass catches.
Tom
Even more amazing!
CLEAN AND DRY
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

ash wrote:it seems like every year we read of stories of guys shore fishing for trout using power bait and catch monster bass. Those monster bass are there probably looking for trout, see one who is pre-occupied by a cheese ball and gets a gill flare - the trout gets away and the bass sucks in the trout bait.

Great catch!
That makes perfect sense.
How in the world did they manage to turn and land those fish on such light tackle?!!
CLEAN AND DRY
Topwater All Day

Post by Topwater All Day »

That is awesome! Must have been a tremendous fight for sure!

I used to fish Miramar a lot and there are always some crazy stories of big Bass caught there! Best one I remember was the Russian goalie for the now-defunct San Diego Gulls minor league hockey team fishing for Trout with a gold Kastmaster and catches a 17 lb Largemouth! Just let all of that sink in for a second and think about how unlikely any of that was!!! :mrgreen:
Rob Ridge
Folsom Bass Team
WRB

Post by WRB »

Mar 2017 a 10.8 lb LMB was caught in Texas on a chicken nugget, California isn't no alone in crazy big bass catches. The Zimmerlee 20 lb 15 oz bass made all the news including the cover of Bassmaster.
Tom
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

Works both ways. Was fishing Shasta with grandson who was casting a tube, caught an 18" rainbow in about 3 feet of water. :D