California Angler Culture

NateGardner

California Angler Culture

Post by NateGardner »

After moving here(Folsom) from being in the Military for the better part of a decade, I have already had my fair share of run ins with people on the water from jet skiers, to wake boarders, and even anglers! The main water ways this happens on is the Delta, Folsom Lake and Clear Lake. Its like the common decency to look a man in the eye and say, "Goodmorning, how are you" has dissipated into thin air.

These are my two cents on this topic,

I have fished/lived in Texas and Colorado extensively through out my years of bass fishing and I have to say that the California angler culture is a reflection of the collective cultural identity of the vast majority of Californians. The fundamental beliefs of the average Californian these days is about "me" with a strong "victim mentality".

Why is this? I ask myself this constantly knowing it is horribly saddening. After much analysis and pondering, I believe this to be from the very radical ideology represented so highly today, which is embraced by the media, combined with the staggering variances in personal wealth creates a self-loathing/narcissistic cultural mentality. Then if these people can't get what they want, they play victim and blame every single person except themselves for their failures. I can go on for days about this but I will refrain, because this quote from Dr. Jordan Peterson cant put it better, "“If you over-coddle people, if you protect them from everything that’s sharp, you make them dull and narcissistic.”

To compare, this is the polar opposite of the "Texan" or "Southern" culture where the cultural values represent family, friends and community for more. In this culture, I would venture to say ownership and common decency are in the top 5 of the societal values. So, more often then not.... when you bump into an angler on the water, there is a far better chance that you would both engage in positive discourse.

In summary, I think Anglers and Californians need to put their personal struggles on themselves, look deep into their own flaws and not attack random strangers to make themselves feel better about whatever is wrong with them. And I will leave you with this quote, “Put the things you can control in order. Repair what is in disorder, and make what is already good better.” – Jordan Peterson

Thank you so much for reading this and please comment below on your experiences!
th365thli

Re: California Angler Culture

Post by th365thli »

I feel like you're overgeneralizing and trying to fit everything into a neat little box. I moved to California from North Carolina 4 years ago, and though I'm not a huge fan of CA it's a very diverse place and that includes it's waterways. I've had many frustrating experiences but I've also had a plethora of pleasant experiences. Also I'm not sure how you went from not waving on the water to "victim culture". California definitely has people like that but it's foolish to try and label a state of this size and diversity with one trait.

To be fair to you, I can't speak for Shasta and Clear Lake, but the Delta is one of the busiest waterways, and you'll definitely get some negative vibes on there.
JL

Post by JL »

Your post is DEAD ON! At least YOU had the balls to post it! I was thinking of posting something very similar to your's but decided against it. Didn't want to be verbally beaten up over it! I've spent a lot of time also while in the military fishing in the south. Every time I would come back here I would say WOW what is wrong with these rude *** people in Ca. My opinion is a lot of people living here are out strictly for themselves and don't have the time to help out a stranger in need. From what I've witnessed in Texas, Alabama, Florida, etc is that a total stranger will be willing to help you out in a heartbeat. Anyway, thanks for your post. Maybe it will open up some peoples eyes out there!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Funny, I am one of the few Native Californian's born and raised in SoCal and moved to NorCal 14-15 yrs ago. The difference between the two halves of the state are very real and very distinct. I think with ALL aspects of life people tend to be self serving and self centered, generally speaking. I just treat people as I want to be treated especially anglers, I have made most of my friends in this community and I see a lot of love in it and a lot of self serving A-holes - but i dont see a distinction by state.

Just be good humans and treat each other with dignity and respect - it dont matter where you call home then.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
NateGardner

Post by NateGardner »

Thank all of you so much for taking the time out your day to read and comment on this post! By posting this, I meant no hatred towards the people of California, but I felt that our experiences on the water could be improved. As in by no means are the people I am talking about the vast majority of anglers I meet. Most are friendly and fun to talk to about the bite or hear a nice story. Yet, there are enough people without a care in the world for anyone except their wants that will fly past kids on kayaks in a no wake zone or pull up between you and the bank because they cant find a bite of their own and not even look your way. As a community here on western bass we can bring awareness to the fact that is not what we want to see on the water and maybe people will change.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

ash wrote:Funny, I am one of the few Native Californian's born and raised in SoCal and moved to NorCal 14-15 yrs ago. The difference between the two halves of the state are very real and very distinct. I think with ALL aspects of life people tend to be self serving and self centered, generally speaking. I just treat people as I want to be treated especially anglers, I have made most of my friends in this community and I see a lot of love in it and a lot of self serving A-holes - but i dont see a distinction by state.

Just be good humans and treat each other with dignity and respect - it dont matter where you call home then.
I'm in my fourth year here, having followed Ash north. I've always been a little slow. Hahaha
Seriously, I think, at least in the Delta, angler frustration has risen in my time here, my own included.
I've noticed that, as the fishing the Delta has gotten worse, people's patience and courtesy has gotten worse, too.
When I first moved up here, it was pretty easy to catch a limit right around Franks, and down near my home on Sandmound. Today, it's a struggle, as the State has killed off more and more of both the aquatic vegetation, and the food chain it supported.
It's almost as if the State want's to kill off angler interest and participation, too. :shock:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

Interesting post ,
Been in California all my life , 57 years . California was once a great state , we all knew our neighbors , we had somewhat common interests etc..... Today , there has never been more division than ever before . Nobody talks to each other . Division among people creates distrust , distrust creates anxiety , anxiety creates fear and hate . The division in California is due to many reasons ( culture , language , politics , media etc....) add that people are no longer taught how to respect thy neighbor and you have a mostly "unfriendly " environment .
I traveled California many times to support a travel baseball team from 2002 to 2008 . SoCal and Norcal are two totally " groups " and SoCal was much more divided earlier than Norcal ---but now both are similar .
My son moved to Texas 3 + years ago . We travel there quite a bit to visit and once in a while to fish , without a doubt , people are more friendly and much less divided . The Texas I visit today reminds me of how california was 30+ years ago .
The bad news is California will never get any better ----maybe thats why so many long time residents are moving out .
WRB

Re: California Angler

Post by WRB »

Being a native Californian the only thing I detest is our polical leaders. Having fished in every state and neighboring countries I find bass anglers in general get along good with a common ethics, goals and you will find a few jerks everywhere.
Every ounce in awhile we run across folks who think they should judge others and believe thier values are superior, it's usually our politicians, it's not often another bass angler.
I know and get along good with all my neighbors because my wife is very social, not me. If the op ever fishes SoCal he will find lake lice so thick and weekenders so rude he may wish he never lived in California and move back to where he calls his home. We have horrible traffic, over crowded small lakes that take incredible skill to catch bass consistantly. NorCal lakes and the Delta are quite and peaceful by comparison.
Tom
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Wow! These are not posts, but essays - like we used to have to write in school. Just a few things to consider since the world will never return to the "good 'ol days!" It always moves forward - good or bad. I thought the posts were excellent however. Bass fishing has held up rather well in our state with all the increased pressure. Trophy bass are more rare now, unfortunately.

The internet and cell phones have changed the world forever! People (and unfortunately, kids) walk down the street now with their heads down, working the phone. Just look at any big city street - you only see the tops of peoples heads.

I was the president of my teachers association when I lived in San Jose in the mid 70's. Not many conservative teachers then and fewer now. I just saw the recent list of people the California Teachers Association was recommending for this past November's elected state offices. Over 70 democratic candidates, One or two republican, and a few no party. Does that tell you something about our public schools and colleges? They are very good, just very liberal.

Look at our recent state elections. California is a one party state now. Is that healthy?

Many are moving to Idaho and other states. I hear from a trusted source that Idaho can't build enough houses. I was there 2 years ago and forest land was being ripped out in several areas for new homes and shopping centers.
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

Larry Hemphill wrote:Wow! These are not posts, but essays - like we used to have to write in school. Just a few things to consider since the world will never return to the "good 'ol days!" It always moves forward - good or bad. I thought the posts were excellent however. Bass fishing has held up rather well in our state with all the increased pressure. Trophy bass are more rare now, unfortunately.

The internet and cell phones have changed the world forever! People (and unfortunately, kids) walk down the street now with their heads down, working the phone. Just look at any big city street - you only see the tops of peoples heads.

I was the president of my teachers association when I lived in San Jose in the mid 70's. Not many conservative teachers then and fewer now. I just saw the recent list of people the California Teachers Association was recommending for this past November's elected state offices. Over 70 democratic candidates, One or two republican, and a few no party. Does that tell you something about our public schools and colleges? They are very good, just very liberal.

Look at our recent state elections. California is a one party state now. Is that healthy?

Many are moving to Idaho and other states. I hear from a trusted source that Idaho can't build enough houses. I was there 2 years ago and forest land was being ripped out in several areas for new homes and shopping centers.
Larry ,
Thank you for being a teacher , I consider it the most important job in this country . I also grew up in San Jose and still live there . Unfortunately , today , the teachers Union in California is the largest Union in the US ( 400K members) and controls how people are educated and how people vote . The reality is , the current education system in Calif is a total failure . California ranks as one of the lowest in the nation . Add in parents that have no intention to raise children with respect , responsibility , discipline and good morals --- and you get the California of today .I am constantly amazed that people keep voting in Democrats that promise them Utopia and only tax us more dollars for less services . California is headed for total failure financially and Gavin Newson is the village idiot .
Tight lines --
Robb
Larry Hemphill

I actually counted the recommendations!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

The voter guide from CTA, teachers union - recommendations for Calif assembly and senate

110 democrats

2 republicans

6 neutral

This does not include all elected offices - governor, etc, all democrats I think
NateGardner

Re: I actually counted the recommendations!

Post by NateGardner »

Larry Hemphill wrote:The voter guide from CTA, teachers union - recommendations for Calif assembly and senate

110 democrats

2 republicans

6 neutral

This does not include all elected offices - governor, etc, all democrats I think

That does not surprise me! I went to high school in San Francisco about 10 years ago and I knew something was wrong with the education system.... I am sorry but if i see something wrong and i have a means to influence it in a positive way, I will do my best to.
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

All those participation trophies are catching up with us..............
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
th365thli

Post by th365thli »

I think the OP might've been accurate if he said "Bay Area" culture rather than California culture. Just my own experience, I've met a lot of nice people not in Silicon Valley. But that's just me. The stereotype of west coast selfishness is definitely a thing, and it happens in places like Seattle and Portland as well.

I really think it's more of an issue of too many people and overfishing. Everyone's fighting for the piece of the pie, whatever it may be. Living in the NC I felt like I had room to breathe.

I agree with all the posters about the Delta. It fishes crowded. Most of the times I don't want to make huge runs to find a spot. I just want to fish man!
WRB

Post by WRB »

Should have been fishing Castiac and Casitas during the 90's Whrn the million $ prize was offered for a world record bass. Every state was represented with motor homes to people sleeping in the pick up beds at overflow parking lots, Jon boats with down riggers to hired guides with state of the art rigs. Parking lots and over looks set up with spotting scopes to watch every move. Intense doesn't discribe the zoo atmosphere. Californians aren't the only rude folks who bass fish!
Tom
jeff bradshaw

Post by jeff bradshaw »

Nate you may be confusing an anglers personal struggles, life failures and selfishness as you noted for frustration or disappointment... especially with tournament anglers.
DYOLLPSTER

Post by DYOLLPSTER »

I tend to disagree. I am from California, but I spent some time living in AZ and TX. I think TX has some of the rudest fishermen you'll see anywhere. All you need to do is spend a day on Lake Fork to confirm. If you think Clear Lake and the Delta are bad for being cut off, go to Lake Fork or just about any TX lake. It's unreal there.

Another example is the drivers. TX drivers are some of the rudest, most aggressive I've seen. Just hang out in the church parking lot after service lets out on Sunday, crazy.
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

While I think a little introspective thinking is helpful Nate, I think this oversimplifies the issue. There is a myriad of reasons why people aren't as nice as they used to be. Possibly the two biggest problems in California are overcrowding (not enough water to fish vs. other areas) and, as mentioned earlier, the negative effects of tournament fishing.
We have over 10% of the U.S. population in CA, but a much smaller percentage of the fishable freshwater. I do fish tournaments, but the "this is my spot because I won a whole $200 in a team tournament last year on it" mentality is ridiculous. Add to this the ease of finding spots with all of the GPS mapping, and tournaments are bound to have many people show up on the best spots. Finding good spots on your mapping ain't rocket science.
If you think that you have it bad up in Norcal Nate, you ought to fish the SoCal state parks like Perris or Silverwood on the weekends. After I have dodged countless illegals and potholes on my way to the lake, and waited in line for an hour, I now have to deal with lake lice jet skis doing donuts in no wake zones on my favorite spot. Needless to say, these problems aren't likely to get better unless our population declines and we put a serious limit on tournaments. Welcome to the new normal! :cry:
Oh, and I'm a conservative minded public school teacher that teaches politics. You can only imagine the extent of the frustration that I encounter there before I ever hook up my boat to head to the lake! :oops:
Last edited by toddmc on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

The only thing i know to be true is i am going to continue to be me and treat others the way i want to be treated. I still pull on the side of the road and offer assistance. I talk to guys at the ramp, Ill help launch your boat and chat with you on the idle out. If ya ask for help or totaly upside down on what happened to the bite I'll give ya a bait and point you in the right direction.

You see this is MY community, this is the community that i chose, it is who i am and what i do and I feel like the community is only as good as what I put into it. I am not going to lessen myself or begrudging others based on a few experiences. I am going to continue to be the example, work with the youth and share our community and culture with them and surround myself with Anglers that i respect and admire you know the ones I call brother.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

Kelly Ripa wrote:All those participation trophies are catching up with us..............
Funny Kelly. You ought to see what my public school teacher job entails. My principal is telling the teachers that we shouldn't be failing students. The high school diploma has become the trophy for nothing. Many of our graduating students can't write or do basic math.
WRB

Post by WRB »

toddmc wrote:
Kelly Ripa wrote:All those participation trophies are catching up with us..............
Funny Kelly. You ought to see what my public school teacher job entails. My principal is telling the teachers that we shouldn't be failing students. The high school diploma has become the trophy for nothing. Many of our graduating students can't write or do basic math.
Partipation awards go hand in hand with social promotion that started in our schools about 30 years. How this coincides with lack of respect for each other is the question, it defiantly is related when under achievers or losers are treated the same as over achievers or winners.
The result is gen Y, entitled to everything on one hand and lived with and fought wars since 911, it's complex.
Tom
Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess »

HAHAHAHAHAH

CRY BABY'S!!!!!!! WHO IS REALLY PLAYING THE VICTIM CARD HERE...... HA HA HA HA HA

WOOOOOO IS MEEEEE...... BAD MAN MAKE HIM GO AWAY!!!!!!!

BRING BACK THE LIZARDS!!!!!!!
ILL RIDE TO HELL AND BACK WITH YOU BOYS!!!!!!!!!!
NateGardner

Post by NateGardner »

Phil Burgess wrote:HAHAHAHAHAH

CRY BABY'S!!!!!!! WHO IS REALLY PLAYING THE VICTIM CARD HERE...... HA HA HA HA HA

Thanks for your contribution to our community, makes me really proud. :lol: Your thought provoking feedback is invaluable.
Last edited by NateGardner on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
NateGardner

Post by NateGardner »

NateGardner wrote:
Phil Burgess wrote:HAHAHAHAHAH

Thanks for your contribution to our community, makes me really proud. :lol:
Also, Phil I love your post "ALRIGHT FOR SOME DUMB RED NECK FROM THE STICK LIKE ME WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

link to sources:search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&auth ... 0&start=50