Riding around the lake with fish in the livewell

bryan

Riding around the lake with fish in the livewell

Post by bryan »

Is it against the law to ride around the with a limit of fish in the livewll without a permit. I know this happens often for picture purposes. Just want to make sure. Thx westernbass!
DDG

Re: Riding around the lake with fish in the livewell

Post by DDG »

bryan wrote:Is it against the law to ride around the with a limit of fish in the livewll without a permit. I know this happens often for picture purposes. Just want to make sure. Thx westernbass!
You will need a CA compliant aerator along with a duel “live captive” permit

Per Diane Feinstein
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

You can drive around as long as you want with a limit ..... you just can't fish if you already have 5
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

DDG wrote: You will need a CA compliant aerator along with a duel “live captive” permit
Per Diane Feinstein
Interesting .... Feinstein is pushing legislation to eradicate non-native evasive species ( = bass ) ..... would not think she could give a crap if your fish were being maintained in a healthy condition or not.
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

DDG wrote:
bryan wrote:Is it against the law to ride around the with a limit of fish in the livewll without a permit. I know this happens often for picture purposes. Just want to make sure. Thx westernbass!
You will need a CA compliant aerator along with a duel “live captive” permit

Per Diane Feinstein
Since when does a U.S. Senator get credit for passing a state fishing regulation?
WRB

Post by WRB »

Trout must be dead if in the boat, can't keep them alive in the livewell. Bass, you can keep 5 alive or dead in your livewel if you are not a retailer selling fish, then you need a permit.
Why keep bass in the livewell if you are not fishing a tournament? it negatively stresses bass regardless of the livewell pump aeration system.
Tom
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

WRB wrote:Trout must be dead if in the boat, can't keep them alive in the livewell. Bass, you can keep 5 alive or dead in your livewel if you are not a retailer selling fish, then you need a permit.
Why keep bass in the livewell if you are not fishing a tournament? it negatively stresses bass regardless of the livewell pump aeration system.
Tom

Bragging rights. I guess a picture of each fish as its caught is no longer the thing. But holding as many fish in your hands as possible shows you're a better fisherman.
I understand for guides or people promoting their business but .......

To each his own.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
scott39

Post by scott39 »

I do not understand why this is an issue with some people. Especially if you have ever fished a tournament. It is ok for 200 boats to keep fish in the live well all day and not a regular guy not fishing a tournament? Because there is money involved, bragging rights? Cmon. The hypocrisy of fisherman have no boundaries. Just my opinion.
Dobyns Rods
WRB

Post by WRB »

Nearly everyone has a smart phone today, take a picture of the bass to brag about if that is your thing. Unless you are using MLF format for the tournament you need to keep a limit to weigh in.
Documenting a PB bass is easy today with a scale and photo. Record size bass you are going to kill the fish trying to authenticate the catch and document it, in California it's going to be a world record bass.
Been promoting releasing bass for over 50 years.
Peace,
Tom
Grncrestliner

Post by Grncrestliner »

In my opinion (and a lot of guys don't care) keeping fish in a live well all day is wrong unless you are in a permitted tournament.
Remember when lake X was the go to destination for large spots? I used to fish it a couple of days a week. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen floaters around the dock because the fish were caught deep and then held in a live well all day for a photo, and not all dead bass float. When I asked why I was told that their buddies would not believe 5 pictures of bass but would only believe one photo at the end of the day with 5 big bass. I know you can needle the fish and they "should" be OK. I know I am in the minority but I think bass anglers keeping fish all day might result in as much bass mortality as the guy who goes out and keeps his legal limit.
In my boat nothing goes in the live well for more than the amount of time it takes to get the camera ready and I don't like them in there at all if they were caught from deep water.
Now I do keep a couple of small spots occasionally from Oroville (5-6 times per year) for dinner and I know that makes me a bad guy but I suspect I kill less bass in a year than guys do who take the fish for a day long ride.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

scott39 wrote:I do not understand why this is an issue with some people. Especially if you have ever fished a tournament. It is ok for 200 boats to keep fish in the live well all day and not a regular guy not fishing a tournament? Because there is money involved, bragging rights? Cmon. The hypocrisy of fisherman have no boundaries. Just my opinion.
I fish tournaments and also release all fish after catching when not in a tournament , To me there is a deference . I see no reason to stress fish for a fun outing any more than it takes to catch and release, sometimes a 30sec wait while I do a photo, but that's just me. I also invested an extra couple of hundred dollars in more pumps, bubblers and even an extra live well so that I have as few dead fish as possible. At the same time I encourage a fisherman to take a limit when he wants some to eat.

But again just stating an opinion thats just me and again to each his own.
scott39

Post by scott39 »

Rod Martin wrote:
scott39 wrote:I do not understand why this is an issue with some people. Especially if you have ever fished a tournament. It is ok for 200 boats to keep fish in the live well all day and not a regular guy not fishing a tournament? Because there is money involved, bragging rights? Cmon. The hypocrisy of fisherman have no boundaries. Just my opinion.
I fish tournaments and also release all fish after catching when not in a tournament , To me there is a deference . I see no reason to stress fish for a fun outing any more than it takes to catch and release, sometimes a 30sec wait while I do a photo, but that's just me. I also invested an extra couple of hundred dollars in more pumps, bubblers and even an extra live well so that I have as few dead fish as possible. At the same time I encourage a fisherman to take a limit when he wants some to eat.

Help me understand what the difference is. I Just get sick and tired of the holyer than thou attitude. Who is anybody to judge anybody of what to do with their legal limit. Personally I do not keep fish in my livewell unless I am in a tournament or going to eat them. I could care less what you do with your fish.
Dobyns Rods
DDG

Post by DDG »

I was totally joking about my post lol and its your five fish. Who cares who does what with their five fish as long as they are being sporting and respectful of their catch. Even if the fish dies, it will leave a easy meal for a fortunate animal ashore or air.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

scott39 wrote:
Rod Martin wrote:

Help me understand what the difference is. I Just get sick and tired of the holyer than thou attitude. Who is anybody to judge anybody of what to do with their legal limit. Personally I do not keep fish in my livewell unless I am in a tournament or going to eat them. I could care less what you do with your fish.
Ok I said to each his own and stated my opinion . Not sure if that is holier than thou it wasn't meant to be . But you do seem to care or you wouldn't be all hot about it.

I like tournaments and realize that fish must be kept in live wells for them, but would prefer that a system could be devised like MLF where no fish is kept in the boat at all. I also realize that some fishermens ego requires that they show off their fish and meat fishermen keep their limit
I just stated that I don't and for the last 10 years or so. I don't really take that many photos. I guess my ego has been satisfied I just like to catch fish and hang out with friends while fishing.

I guess stating an opinion is no longer ok
WRB

Post by WRB »

C & R has taken on a cult like following, killing a bass is like killing a person to some folks. The other side of the coin is kill them all, bass are a renewable resource and my license allows me to take a legal limit. Somewhere inbetween is where most of use are at, keep a few occasional if they are mortally wounded or just just table fare.
Back in the late 60's I wrote a article about over harvesting our big bass before the Florida giant bass became established, got a lot of blow back from that article during a period when everyone kept nearly everything they caught.
So now the discussion is about bass boaters with livewells putting bass they don't need for any purpose into the box all just to let them go before leaving. Yes you have the right to keep 5 bass in the box and do whatever you want with them. The question is this practice good for the bass, will they survive? The answer is the bass are better off release quickly if they are not needed and a higher % will survive.
Do you all wonder why our trophy bass populations crash when everyone is releasing them alive?
A higher percentage of big bass suffer post mortality rates then your average young adult size bass, they are older and susceptible to high stress in a livewell. Sure you can keep them in the box all day and let them go before you go home, some will live, some will not. The population of giant bass in our local small lakes is so small a few dieing each week add up until they are gone. Yes we all have the right to keep 5 bass alive in the live well, the question is should we?
Tom
scott39

Post by scott39 »

Rod Martin wrote:
scott39 wrote:
Rod Martin wrote:

Ok I said to each his own and stated my opinion . Not sure if that is holier than thou it wasn't meant to be . But you do seem to care or you wouldn't be all hot about it.

I like tournaments and realize that fish must be kept in live wells for them, but would prefer that a system could be devised like MLF where no fish is kept in the boat at all. I also realize that some fishermens ego requires that they show off their fish and meat fishermen keep their limit
I just stated that I don't and for the last 10 years or so. I don't really take that many photos. I guess my ego has been satisfied I just like to catch fish and hang out with friends while fishing.

Mine was an opinion also I didn't"t quote anybody. You quoted me. So I guess my opinion isn't ok. LOL. I simply asked you what the difference is, since you stated there is a difference. You decided not to answer the question making my point for me. Just a double standard. Its morally ok to keep fish in a livewell if money is involved not ok for bragging rights? That's it. I'm not hot just calling a spade a spade.
Last edited by scott39 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dobyns Rods
steve0806

Post by steve0806 »

MichaelB wrote:You can drive around as long as you want with a limit ..... you just can't fish if you already have 5
My experience with wardens suggests otherwise. Once you possess a limit, you are done. Go to launch ramp, kill your fish. Do not transport live fish. I believe you have to show you are in a State approved tournament to continue fishing. They allow the practice of culling or upgrading a limit for approved tournaments.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

steve0806 wrote:
MichaelB wrote:You can drive around as long as you want with a limit ..... you just can't fish if you already have 5
My experience with wardens suggests otherwise. Once you possess a limit, you are done. Go to launch ramp, kill your fish. Do not transport live fish. I believe you have to show you are in a State approved tournament to continue fishing. They allow the practice of culling or upgrading a limit for approved tournaments.
I said you can't fish if you already have a limit. That should be obvious if you are not in a permitted tournament. Where is it written you have to leave the lake once you possess a limit? I would ask a warden, but I have been fishing for 50 years and have talked to exactly one while fishing.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

steve0806 wrote:
For the purposes of this discussion, "fresh" = alive
1.17. Bag and Possession Limit.
No more than one daily bag limit of each kind of
fish, amphibian, reptile, mollusk or crustacean
named in these regulations may be taken or possessed by any one person unless otherwise authorized; regardless of whether they are fresh, frozen,
or otherwise preserved.

If you read the definition of "water", it will state that the lake or Delta is the "body of water" where the fish is taken. No where does it state you are not allowed to transport live fish within the body of water where taken, only that it is prohibited to transport the fish "alive from the water where taken"
1.63. Movement of Live Fish.
Except as provided in sections 4.00 through 4.30
and 230, live fin fish may not be transported alive
from the water where taken.

Feel free to read the regulations:
http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/ ... AFW_LR.pdf
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

scott39 wrote:
Rod Martin wrote:
scott39 wrote:

Mine was an opinion also I didn't"t quote anybody. You quoted me. So I guess my opinion isn't ok. LOL. I simply asked you what the difference is, since you stated there is a difference. You decided not to answer the question making my point for me. Just a double standard. Its morally ok to keep fish in a livewell if money is involved not ok for bragging rights? That's it. I'm not hot just calling a spade a spade.

Ok last time for me. My opinion, Hauling them around for ego Not OK, MY OPINION . Participating in a sport OK In my opinion . Never said others had to abide by my opinion .

You
I Just get sick and tired of the holyer than thou attitude. Who is anybody to judge anybody of what to do with their legal limit. ( I didn't judge anybody)

You
The hypocrisy of fisherman have no boundaries. Just my opinion. ( I never said anyone was a hypocrite again just expressed my opinion )

So you others attitude and hypocrisy

mine was an opinion also I didn't"t quote anybody. You quoted me. So I guess my opinion isn't ok. LOL. I simply asked you what the difference is, since you stated there is a difference. You decided not to answer the question making my point for me. Just a double standard.( your opinion is fine but I didn't call anyone a hypocrite and I did answer the question )

So when you express an opinion without condemning others opinion I think that is ok but when you start with the hypocrite and holier than thou. Then you're just being you. (I didn't do that each time I expressed my opinion I stated TO EACH HIS OWN neither condemning or placing restraints on others.

Mine

This is what I do , What you do is up to you just saying what I think.

I'm done .

I see that as being different.

I cannot state it any better so my last post on this subject.. Everyone else seemed to understand.
scott39

Post by scott39 »

Thank you Rod. I am really trying to see your point of view on this. My question was this. What makes it different comparing fun fishing or competition? Is it illiagal? If it is then that's the answer. If it is legal then let me ask the question a different way. To me the big argument is fish safety. That being said. My question is. How is it different for the FISH? Personally I don't think they know if it's s tournament or headed to the frying pan or being posted on Facebook. Anybody have the answer?
Dobyns Rods
Grncrestliner

Post by Grncrestliner »

How is it different for the fish?

I think we all know that a tournament angler has no choice if they are going to compete. A certain amount of mortality is going to happen.
If you are only fun fishing then you are potentially killing fish for nothing more than your bragging rights. The fish don't know the difference but if everyone kept their 5 best in a live well everyday and upgraded throughout the day then more fish are going to die just for photos. I don't think we should be killing fish just for photos.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Fun fishing we catch bass 1 at a time and most are young adults or a few juvenile bass somewhere between, if we manage to catch a big bass, then it's a decision to take a photo and release it or put in the box (livewell) to show it off later.
Today's bass anglers tend to use vedio to show their bass fishing skills and show off the bass they catch. My generation we may have had a throw away camera and hoped the film was good when we took a photo to brag about. Fishermen showing off catches is part of our DNA
The question was can I ride around the lake with a livewell full of fish, the answers were yes if within regulations and those were posted, the op's question is answered.
Back to over stressing bass put into a livewell for several hours, does it harm the bass? The answer is it depends on the condition of the bass put into the box and the water temperature vs the temps the bass is conditioned to, plus the condition of the livewell water DO levels and toxicity.
The bottom line is livewells stress the bass and it's up to each angler to make the decision, release it immediately or put in the box for whatever reason, it's yours to make.
Tom
Nevadabassin

Post by Nevadabassin »

"CATCH AND RELEASE MEANS BETTER BASSIN"
Palo Verde

Post by Palo Verde »

It wasn't a problem at San Diego lakes .. Every week 1,000 bass were taken home for dinner .. Why was fishing so good still ., way bigger bass being caught .. What happened ..only Larry botroff will know for sure .. I certainly have no idea .. But it took a hour to launch ur boat on the weekend .. It was so crazy cool how many avid bass fishermen there was ..
WRB

Post by WRB »

Palo Verde wrote:It wasn't a problem at San Diego lakes .. Every week 1,000 bass were taken home for dinner .. Why was fishing so good still ., way bigger bass being caught .. What happened ..only Larry botroff will know for sure .. I certainly have no idea .. But it took a hour to launch ur boat on the weekend .. It was so crazy cool how many avid bass fishermen there was ..
The SD city lakes were only open 3 days a week, 10 hp max, few boats with livewells back in late 60's-early 70's, mine did, nearly everyone used stringers and fished with live crawdads. Larry Bohtroff was the biologist who monitored the population, had nothing to do with harvest rates that was the DFG. 1,000 bass days may be an exaggeration, don't recall more then 2 to 3 bass per angler, Florida strain LMB bass were harder to catch then their northern cousins.
Tom
PS, crazy was Castaic in the early 90's when million $$$$$$$ bounty for a world record bass was offered.