Ultrex or not?

JL

Ultrex or not?

Post by JL »

I see on FLW that Bryan Thrift is still using a Minn Kota Fortrex instead of an Ultrex. This guy is one of the best tournament anglers alive right now. How many of you guys, for whatever reason are sticking with the old cable steering and fore going the spotlock and newer technology and WHY? Thanks for any input!
biteme

Re: Ultrex or not?

Post by biteme »

No way would I ever go back. Spot lock is amazing. I can lock the boat and fish the back deck if I want to. Its awesome.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

There is no rationale comparison. Ultrex is so far superior, you can not make an argument. Someone who has a Fortrex is going to chime in and say an Ultrex is "not reliable" ..... that may have been an issue when the Ultrex was first introduced, but Minn-Kota corrected all those issues and the current ones are very reliable. No explanation why a touring pro would use a Fortrex, maybe he was fishing out of a "back-up" boat (?)
JL

Post by JL »

I'm not sure either on why he doesn't use the Ultrex versus the Fortrex, but he does. Maybe he switches them out on different bodies of water? Go to FLW and check it out for yourself. He is at Sam Rayburn and doing awesome in the tournament. He is also carolina rigging, which in my opinion would be prime to have a Ultrex on that bite.
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

I absolutely love the Ultrex “ the only drawback for me ‘ is the noise !... I have my Fortrex & Ultrex rigged for quick swap outs ! I plan on going back to the Fortrex when the fish move shallow , I am just OCD” I guess ?, but just can’t get used to the noise !
clum553946

Post by clum553946 »

I know it’s like fishing with R2D2, but you can always just use it manually too. Hard to go back to the Fortrex for me, the Ultrex is great when you’re fishing by yourself!
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

I need to start fishing with a “Light Saber” & get Chewbacca for a team partner!....
JL

Post by JL »

So! Consensus is that everybody LOVES their Ultrex. What about its reliability? I've read numerous posts online about problems with them. What if any, have you guys had with your Ultrex? I also heard that Lowrance is going to release a trolling motor to compare with the Ultrex. Any and all input welcome! Thanks!
biteme

Post by biteme »

I've yet to have any issues. I did hear a couple guys on BBC had water in the head and Minn kota took care of them.
Other than that I haven't heard of any other issues.
philip garcia

Post by philip garcia »

I'm one of the stay with the fortrex. My reasons for the fortrex over the ultrex are the reliability many friends have had issues. Really important reasons are it's too sensitive, constantly hitting the buttons,has to be at a perfect angle to lift it up, and finally you have to always look down to see which direction you are going (because it's so sensitive). I have ran boats with them maybe 10 times and still hate them the spot lock is nice but in my opinion the rest of it sucks.
JL

Post by JL »

Thanks for the straight up answer Phil! I'm wanting the spot lock too, but I'm leaning on staying old school for reliability issues.
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

philip garcia wrote:I'm one of the stay with the fortrex. My reasons for the fortrex over the ultrex are the reliability many friends have had issues. Really important reasons are it's too sensitive, constantly hitting the buttons,has to be at a perfect angle to lift it up, and finally you have to always look down to see which direction you are going (because it's so sensitive). I have ran boats with them maybe 10 times and still hate them the spot lock is nice but in my opinion the rest of it sucks.
I haven't even used one yet, but this seems to be what I have learned from the countless threads on here and BBC. A shallow water fisherman just won't get enough use out of the spotlock to make up for the other downgrades vs. the Fortrex. I have the money burning a hole in my pocket while I have been waiting for the next version. The new version has to address all of these problems. I know that this is wishful thinking, and that I may be waiting forever. :P Come on Motorguide!
biteme

Post by biteme »

toddmc wrote:
philip garcia wrote:I'm one of the stay with the fortrex. My reasons for the fortrex over the ultrex are the reliability many friends have had issues. Really important reasons are it's too sensitive, constantly hitting the buttons,has to be at a perfect angle to lift it up, and finally you have to always look down to see which direction you are going (because it's so sensitive). I have ran boats with them maybe 10 times and still hate them the spot lock is nice but in my opinion the rest of it sucks.
I haven't even used one yet, but this seems to be what I have learned from the countless threads on here and BBC. A shallow water fisherman just won't get enough use out of the spotlock to make up for the other downgrades vs. the Fortrex. I have the money burning a hole in my pocket while I have been waiting for the next version. The new version has to address all of these problems. I know that this is wishful thinking, and that I may be waiting forever. :P Come on Motorguide!
Ive heard of a few with issues. That said, when theres a thread about it on BBC its 99% positive. I fish both shallow and deep and wouldnt be without it. That said to each their own.

Lifting the motor is no different than my past fortrex TMs. I never have to look down to see where Im going. The peddle is in the middle the motor is straight. Sure the peddle feel is easier to use and takes some getting use to. When you learn you dont have to push as hard its no different.

The one thing I dont care for is spot lock on a not so windy day. The motor is always working and searching for the spot. I find it does best with a bit of wind. Lock on a bed, or a point, or as soon as you catch a fish. Fight the fish with no drift or worry about the boat blowing into the bank ect.

Theres way more positives IMO.
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

Let's be honest. There are least six issues listed on this short recent thread.
http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=955032
I have heard of several other problems also. The only thing that I thought that I wouldn't see was a broken shaft, but even that happened in this recent thread! :lol:
JLS (Jay Liu's Service)

Post by JLS (Jay Liu's Service) »

Philip you can control how fast the motor turns by programing how fast you want it to respond You can call me and I can talk you through it phone 530 246 8051 it has to be done thru the remote.

JLS Jay Liu's Service trolling motor repairs.