Shakey flaky?

Hookset5

Shakey flaky?

Post by Hookset5 »

Going through my tackle and rigs for 2019. Trying to thin some things down but I'm sitting on a shakey head rig wondering why I even have it. Its primarily a vertical technique of which so is a jig, blade bait, even a texas rig can be vertical.
Comparably, the shakey head MOST resembles a texas rig which you can soak or manipulate it's movement ever so slightly to act like a shakey head. Tail up? Is this the main deal with a shakey head? Wouldn't a floating worm on a texas rig present the same effect?
Spanky211

Re: Shakey flaky?

Post by Spanky211 »

Shaky heads catch the sh#t out of bass, big ones too. For example next time you wear them out on a jig or big worm and they quit bitin, throw that little deal and watch the magic continue.

I’d hang on to em, IMO. Good luck out there. !

Travis Tate.
Caleb.Smith

Post by Caleb.Smith »

I believe the difference between a texas and the shakey would be the weight welded to the hook. Any play in between the weight and hook on a texas rig would cause the worm even if floating to lay horizontally, if that makes sense.
Hookset5

Post by Hookset5 »

Yes, it does make sense. It's a vertical technique and the Trig is horizontal. I decided to keep it in my bag of tricks. Thanks for the input
Double-G

Post by Double-G »

I'm gonna jump in on this one, just because I have a little experience with a shakey head as well as a Texas rig.
The plastic bait on a TX rig tends to slither or drag along the bottom whether the weight is pegged or not, even when using the Doodling technique.
Now a Shakey head is a different animal, most generally the head tends to angel the plastic bait off of the bottom to some degree, some lift the bait more than others. Personally, I prefer a Shakey head to a TX rig because I prefer my plastic offerings to be lifted almost strait up and down. I feel this best imitates a natural foraging or feeding position.
With all of the different types of heads out there it makes it tough to choose one that is right for you. For me (I'm biased on this) it's the "Nail" made by Frenzy Baits. It's a true stand up head, and comes through grass, wood, and rocks.
I've won over $60K over the last 4 years on this Jighead.
From Shasta and the mother load lakes to the Delta I've caught some giant spots and large mouth with a Frenzy Baits Shakey head!
Greg Gutierrez
Frenzy Baits
Sam K

Post by Sam K »

haven't used the 'nail' yet...but I have a few on deck. Favorite shakey head is Buckeye's spot remover. In really rocky water, I use a round head. Wouldn't be without different styles, sizes in my box. I've thrown worms, craws, senkos, brush hogs, reapers, on shakey heads with good result. The fact that you an screw any plastic bait onto it makes it a 'keeper' bait/technique...at least for me. And Mr. G., since I'm up here on Shasta, I'll be giving your 'nail' a thorough test, starting this weekend.