$20K Reward Offered for Info Sea Lion Shootings

WB Staff

$20K Reward Offered for Info Sea Lion Shootings

Post by WB Staff »

$20K Reward Offered for Info Sea Lion Shootings in.jpg
Reward Offered for Info on Washington Sea Lion Shootings

NOAA Fisheries’ Office of Law Enforcement (OLE) is offering a reward of up to $20,000 for information that leads to a civil penalty or criminal conviction in the shootings of California sea lions in and around West Seattle.

More than 12 sea lions have been confirmed shot in Washington’s King and Kitsap counties since September.

Sea lions and other marine mammals are protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA), which carries civil penalties of up to $28,520 per count, a year in prison, criminal fines, and forfeiture of any vessel involved.

“We are concerned about a number of recent reports of marine mammal deaths caused by gunshots in the greater Seattle area. OLE investigates all reported unlawful takes of sea lions,” said Greg Busch, Assistant Director of the West Coast Division of NOAA Fisheries’ Office of Law Enforcement.

Anyone with information should call the case agent direct at 206-526-4300 or the 24/7 hotline for reporting marine resource violations at 1-800-853-1964. To report a dead, injured, or stranded marine mammal, call the West Coast Marine Mammal Stranding Network: 1-866-767-6114.

Sea lion shootings have become a regular occurrence in the Pacific Northwest during fall and winter, when male sea lions travel north from their rookeries in the Channel Islands in Southern California to feed. The number of shootings confirmed so far this winter is substantially greater than other recent years.

The MMPA prohibits harassment, hunting, capturing, or killing of marine mammals. However, the law contains exceptions allowing non-lethal methods to deter marine mammals from damaging private property, including fishing gear and catch, so long as it does not result in the death or serious injury of an animal.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

NOAA Fisheries Office of Law Enforcement https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/national ... -violation
$20K Reward Offered for Info Sea Lion Shootings in washington.png
JoeLanghans

Re: $20K Reward Offered for Info Sea Lion Shootings

Post by JoeLanghans »

Water rats :twisted:
We need to have an open season for these things, overpopulation and thousands of salmon killed and left with just a bite taken
BigBassDaddy1190

Post by BigBassDaddy1190 »

Should be paying the people shooting them
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I hate them as much as the next guy but in reality they are just doing what comes natural, eating an easy meal.
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Not surprising this is occurring. I am surprised that this isn’t happening in the California Delta. Sea Lions are destroying the bass population on the California Delta more than ever. And not just bass. They are slaughtering salmon too. Until someone decides that the Sea Lion population is too large, this is only going to get worse.
Last edited by 185vsfrog on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Oregon started a removal/killing California sea lions program last year, wake up DFW and offer a bounty not a fine!
Tom
SilverbackDad

Post by SilverbackDad »

No bounty necessary. I will volunteer for free! Even provide my own supplies/gear. :D
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

185vsfrog wrote: I am surprised that this isn’t happening in the California Delta.
Dont be...I think there is a lot of stuff that goes on out in the swamps of the delta..
IMG_0061.JPG