Moving to Idaho - snake river info needed.

spinnerbait70

Moving to Idaho - snake river info needed.

Post by spinnerbait70 »

I’m headed to Caldwell-marsing area and will be trying to navigate the snake in my 21 foot skeeter. Planning on learning the river all the way downriver as far as I can go. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
MT

Re: Moving to Idaho - snake river info needed.

Post by MT »

Looks like jet or drift boat water to me. The Skeeter might not last too long on that kind of water.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

My buddy moved to Idaho and there’s a pretty decent lake right there at the edge of town in Caldwell called Lake Lowell. He also fishes CJ Strike, Oxbow, Hell’s Canyon and Swan Falls. Pretty much everything there is part of the Snake River chain. Get ready for smaller fish, but good numbers. Also, the season is much shorter due to the frigid weather and water temps.
spinnerbait70

Post by spinnerbait70 »

Thx for the input. Ive seen YouTube videos of guys running their bass boats in that general area but it seems like you really need to have deep understanding of the river. I think you would be surprised about the weather. Obviously the winters are longer but frigid it is not. Been 5 times in winter months looking at propertiesand it’s not as bad as the foggy chill you get on the delta. Thanks again for the reply’s.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

spinnerbait70 wrote:Thx for the input. Ive seen YouTube videos of guys running their bass boats in that general area but it seems like you really need to have deep understanding of the river. I think you would be surprised about the weather. Obviously the winters are longer but frigid it is not. Been 5 times in winter months looking at propertiesand it’s not as bad as the foggy chill you get on the delta. Thanks again for the reply’s.
I meant frigid as compared to California. My friend in Caldwell told me once he left a glass of water on top of his boat inside his garage one winter and it froze solid. He did say the weather in southern Idaho is nowhere near as severe as up north around Cour De Lene
utbass74

Post by utbass74 »

Lots of good fishing on the snake from American Falls down to Brownlee. Owyhee Res in Oregon is a really good largemouth lake. Magic valley and Dvorshak are both awesome smallie lakes. Havent fished Lowell but I hear its not been very good lately. Ive heard they are going to poison it because there are a lot of carp.