Fishing Line qestion

Wiplash

Fishing Line qestion

Post by Wiplash »

Hey guys just getting my stuff ready for the spring. I am res-pooling some of my reels. i know some people like to use floro, mono, and braid for certain things. How many pound test and what would you use for the:

Chatter baits

Spinnerbaits

Jerkbaits
Double-G

Re: Fishing Line qestion

Post by Double-G »

Hey Wiplash,

There a lot of opinions on what line size and type to use based on several issues such as what type of conditions or cover you will be fishing. As well as how much money or time you want to put into the process of re-stringing your reels.
I'll give you my simple example of how I rig up my rods for these setups. And to be perfectly transparent, I have full access to these products so I have eliminated the cost issue, but not the time or frequency needed feel confident in my equipment.

For Vibrating Jigs and Spinner Baits: I use either 12-16# Gamma Edge Fluorocarbon, or 40# Fins Windtamer braid (sometimes with a fluoro leader). These setups are dependent on location, depth of water, clarity and cover.

Jerkbaits: 10# Gamma Edge Fluorocarbon, or 20# Braid in the grass or wood areas.
Greg Gutierrez
Frenzy Baits
Wiplash

Post by Wiplash »

Thank you. Between fishing the Bass and Stripers in Delta and local lakes around here, Its a real pain to switch out line all the time and. Its nice to keep it basic. So you like floro over mono then huh?
medfish

Post by medfish »

For those baits 30lb braid with 10-15 feet of mono or Flo. Leader, if you will, size depends on what is around and depth. Deeper smaller, wood around heavier. But with a jerkbait not to heavy as to not kill the action. Seems to work for me.
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

30-40 lb braid with a 14-15 lb mono leader. You do not need floro for moving baits, plus it sinks
nivanov30

Post by nivanov30 »

What's the reason you guys use any leaders for braid?
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

nivanov30 wrote:What's the reason you guys use any leaders for braid?
Easy to cast, no birds nests, and tough so you have very little chance of breaking off a fish. You can also see your line, when it’s cold in the fall and winter, long pauses when fishing jerkbaits is sometimes key. They hit it on the pause so if you’re fishing with braid, it floats and you can see when the fish takes your bait.
medfish

Post by medfish »

[quote="nivanov30"]What's the reason you guys use any leaders for braid?[/quote]
With me 1. A confidence thing clearer the water longer the leader. 2 mono will act a a “shock absorber”. 3 when I use flor it’s mainly for adding a little more depth. 4 it’s just cheaper Just what seems to work for me