Getting to Bullards Bar

Pat

Getting to Bullards Bar

Post by Pat »

Hey guys,

If you are planning a trip to Bullards, be sure to check road conditions and not just weather on the lake! I was up there today and going up the hill, about 1/2 mile after Lake Francis, my 2WD Chevy pulling and 18 ft Stratos came to a stop. The overnight rain and snow left a sheet of ice on the road. It was a real pickle. If I tried to go forward I just spun, if I tried to roll back the boat would go crooked. Too narrow to turn around. The road was so slick that if I put it in park and took my foot off the brake, the whole rig started sliding backwards. I ended up sitting there with my flashers on for quite a while hoping the road would warm up. Finally a friend came a long with a 4WD pulling a 19ft Tracker. We used a tow strap to connect my truck to his trailer, and even then ended up with six wheels spinning. We finally got rolling and proceeded at 10 mph to the top. Found a wide place and pulled off. I was nervous about the hill down so waited there for a while. Finally decided it was safe and made it down to the Emerald cove ramp. Of course a sand tuck passed us going the other way. Launching was no problem. Lake was nice, some debris, 48 degrees, only caught a few before the wind came up and we called it a day. Going home no problem.

Pat
Snowboat 1.jpg
hydro

Re: Getting to Bullards Bar

Post by hydro »

Best advice is to not chance it under these conditions . Did you have tire chains along for your truck?
I have seen people chain up trailers to keep them from sliding around but that would destroy fiberglass boat trailer fenders if anything came loose . Glad you made it safe but definitely not a fun situation to find yourself in .
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

You were lucky !! Those conditions are what Accidents are made of !! Glad you made it out safe.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
biteme

Post by biteme »

No thanks! The ramps at that lake and ice? Not a chance. Glad you made it out ok.
Larry Hemphill

I posted a warning!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I was hoping that most of you would have seen my warning about launch conditions at Bullards Bar. Be very careful, we are NOT experiencing a normal California winter, especially the last warmer than normal winters. Bullards will continue to have freezing weather conditions this next week, ice on the ramps and pavement leading to the ramps. There was a little snow. Remember it sits at the 2000 ft elevation in a very cold winter valley. Cold air sinks and mornings are the danger period of a 24 hr day. Water temp should also be several degrees colder than the past few years. There probably won't be much sun for the next several days. As I mentioned on my previous Bullards report, the lake doesn't get a lot of sunshine on the whole lake until around the end of March. Lots of high surrounding mountains that offer good shade - if you want it (in the summer!!)
Pat

Post by Pat »

Larry, I saw your much appreciated warning and was watching the weather closely. WeatherUnderground.com actually has a reporting sensor and forecast right at the Emerald Cove Marina. The forecast there was mid 30s and we were planning to get there after the sun was on the road down. The ramp and launching conditions were just fine. The road up that long 8% grade to get there was what I should have been considering! Between your warning and my lesson learned, I will know better in the future. And the fishing certainly was not worth the trouble!