Delta conditions

nate50

Delta conditions

Post by nate50 »

Hey everyone

I was hoping to fish the delta tomorrow but I drove by b&w area and saw how muddy and fast the water was moving. I’ve heard the further south you go the water gets cleaner. Can anyone confirm this? If so, how far south do I need to go? Paradise point, ladds or farther
monte300

Re: Delta conditions

Post by monte300 »

I recently had total hip replacement surgery and hope to get out there for the first time in a week and a half. I don’t normally ask for help, but can anyone tell me the water clarity in the Tiki Lagun, Whiskey Slough and Empire Cut areas? Thanks in advance.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Find the closest station to your area:
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecstation2/
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Thanks Mark but I’m not finding it to be very user friendly
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

monte300 wrote:Thanks Mark but I’m not finding it to be very user friendly
I agree, but, if you play around with it, you can find stations near where you want to fish that show water temps and turbidity.
For me, it was worth the effort, and I am not a computer person.
Zoom in on the main map, and you will see more station options.
If you click on Franks Tract, you can see a really good menu of stuff. Drag the map up or down to be able to see the entire menu.
Franks is one of the most complete stations, with just about everything listed in terms of water conditions.
You have to click on the stations, one at a time, and see what kind of monitoring they offer, because each one is different.
I think it's a useful site.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

I was in whiskey last weekend and water clears up as you get back towards the ramp. Water at Tiki is definitely muddy. Hope this helps
monte300

Post by monte300 »

185vsfrog wrote:I was in whiskey last weekend and water clears up as you get back towards the ramp. Water at Tiki is definitely muddy. Hope this helps
Thank you!
Kyle46N

Post by Kyle46N »

I did some reading on FTUs and NTUs, which are turbidity of water readings. I found the guage below Mildred and just across from Orwood has 7.5 FTUs right now. Pasted below off the internets.....

Also, remember that FNU relates equivalently to NTU, and gauges typically read in one or the other.

6″ of visibility is approximately – 50 NTU
1′ – 25 NTU
1.5′ – 13 NTU
greater than 2′ – less than 10 NTU
My own “rule of fives”, is the easiest to remember which is “5 is five feet, 50 is five inches”.

So I interpret that to mean may 3-4 ft vis in that area? It's a long run from B & W so I want to be sure. I think this is credible.
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

Agree about using the CDEC stations if you can't make it out. Once you figure it out it can be very helpful.

This past Sunday I worked my way from Franks down to Disco Bay. Viz was 3-6" around Franks to maybe a foot to foot and a half in Disco. Water gets warmer as you travel south too. I only ran around one bay in Disco and only marked a few individual/couple fish here and there. No schools unless they were up on the banks. And if they were up shallow they weren't buying what I was selling.