How to get the CA emission certification for the out state boat after 2008???

YUAN.L

How to get the CA emission certification for the out state boat after 2008???

Post by YUAN.L »

I got my 2013 Ranger form FL, but I can not register it on DMV because they need the Tag is CA emission certification.
dose everyone know how to get that?
Thanks a lot!
Dabbs

Re: How to get the CA emission certification for the out state boat after 2008???

Post by Dabbs »

I'm guessing you need the emission hang tag. Just call the engine manufacturer and tell them you need one and they'll just send one to you in the mail. I just had to do this a clue months ago.
biteme

Re: How to get the CA emission certification for the out state boat after 2008???

Post by biteme »

I had a trim unit for sale and the buyer just wanted the side plate for this reason. He paid full price and said keep the unit and just sell me the side plate.
fish4metoo

Post by fish4metoo »

Hello Western Bass Guy's,

This may help for out of State purchases of boats and motors, mainly motors.

I received this info from Evinrude the first time my out of state purchase, to go to this site!

Calif. Air Resoures Board,

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/cert/cert_mfr.php

1. Browse Executive Orders, then scroll down to Spark-Ignition Marine Engines.

2. Select model year. then browse to your motor. Shows years 2001 to 2019!

3. Once you find your motor, click the highlighted in blue and print the executive order.

4. Take the printed copy to DMV!

That's it!!

I HOPE THIS HELPED OUT, OUT OF STATE PURCHASES...
rangerz20

Post by rangerz20 »

So if I but a 1980's or 90's say Ranger from another state with an old motor I can't get it registered in California?
fish4metoo

Post by fish4metoo »

I'm not sure, easy solution is to call the Ca. Resources Board!

The year's show 2001 to 2020 now...

Helpline
(800) 242-4450
helpline@arb.ca.gov
hydro

Post by hydro »

rangerz20 wrote:So if I but a 1980's or 90's say Ranger from another state with an old motor I can't get it registered in California?
Everything I have found says that 1998 was the first year for federal emission regulation on outboards . Just like with automobile engines nothing effecting emissions could be changed or modified it had to be kept in a "Stock" manufacturer configuration for recreational outboards . Racing and competition outboards were exempt from these rules . California added their own spin on this in 2001.

"The California Clean Air Act, as codified in the Health and Safety Code sections 43013 and 43018, specifically mandated ARB to regulate off-road mobile sources of emissions. Included are marine vessels, locomotives, utility engines, off-road motorcycles, and off-highway vehicles. In 1998, the Board approved regulations to control emissions from spark-ignition personal watercraft and outboard marine engines. For these types of engines, the regulations became effective with the 2001 model year. The amendments proposed herein seek to reduce hydrocarbon (HC) emissions and oxides of nitrogen (NO,) emissions from spark-ignition inboard and sterndrive marine engines, effective with the 2003 model year.
In crafting the proposal, ARB staff met with engine manufacturers and other interested parties in numerous individual and group meetings, including trips to marine engine manufacturing facilities, as well as conference calls. The staff also held a public workshop on September 19,200O.
STAFF PROPOSAL
The proposal applies to spark-ignition inboard and sterndrive marine engines. Specifically, California’s spark-ignition marine engine regulations would be amended to include inboard and sterndrive engines. Thus, these engines would be subject to exhaust emission standards, certification test procedures, on-board diagnostic systems, compliance provisions, consumer provisions such as environmental labeling, and warranty requirements.
The proposed exhaust emission standards are shown below in Table I_ The standards commence with the 2003 model year, followed by more stringent levels that are phased-in beginning in 2007. "