Big bass

Linehand

Big bass

Post by Linehand »

I gotta a 15 year old kid that has the swimbait/big bait bug. Says hes gonna throw em all year and wants his new pb. I'm in to get him his dream. He is obsessed with all the big bait guys. Oliver ngy, paul bailey matt Allen Tim little butch brown, ya get the picture. Better than a vidio game obsession I promise. We fish clear lake all the time and was wanting to venture out. What lakes do u guys think would be something we should hit with big baits this year. Clear lake is 2 hrs from us so driving isint a problem. I live north of marysville in Loma Rica. Bout 20 min south west of bullards. Any info helps. Just wanna get the kid his fish.
biteme

Re: Big bass

Post by biteme »

Linehand wrote:I gotta a 15 year old kid that has the swimbait/big bait bug. Says hes gonna throw em all year and wants his new pb. I'm in to get him his dream. He is obsessed with all the big bait guys. Oliver ngy, paul bailey matt Allen Tim little butch brown, ya get the picture. Better than a vidio game obsession I promise. We fish clear lake all the time and was wanting to venture out. What lakes do u guys think would be something we should hit with big baits this year. Clear lake is 2 hrs from us so driving isint a problem. I live north of marysville in Loma Rica. Bout 20 min south west of bullards. Any info helps. Just wanna get the kid his fish.
Collins and Bullards, If I lived that close I would live on the water.
Andrew5414

Post by Andrew5414 »

Don Pedro is a Great Lake I highly recommend it. Great fishery
WRB

Post by WRB »

Pre spawn is the highest percentage seasonal period to catch big bass and that is now!
Dedication to targeting big bass takes a willingness to fish long hours to determine the right location, time and lure that will work where you plan to fish.
The big bait equals big bass isn't always true. Keep in mind the bigger the bass are the fewer they are and is true. You and your son are targeting the lowest percentage in numbers of the bass population and to increase the odds you both should study their behavior, what is the prey they are hunting in the lake you choose. You live in a area that has big bass populations that get a lot of fishing pressure by skilled big bait anglers. The lakes are at full pool with expanded areas to fish and it should be a good year for big bass.
Good luck,
Tom
PS, it's good that your son has a passion to catch big bass and my suggestion is, if you haven't already, read the late Bill Murphys book In Pursuit of Gaint Bass. Murphy's techniques are not for everyone but the knowledge shared on big bass behavior is ageless.
Last edited by WRB on Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jace D

Post by Jace D »

The Mother Lode lakes are usually a good place to target big bass with swimbaits in the pre-spawn, however as far as I’m aware, there have been little or no trout stockings in the Mother Lode lakes this and most of last year which has made it tougher to get bit on those lakes. There are always trout and kokanee so it’s not impossible at all but it does makes things harder. Also, the bigger lakes like New Melones and Don Pedro get hit hard by lots of experienced anglers and the fish can get hard to fool.
I would do a little searching and try to focus on some of the smaller, less pressured lakes that have trout and try your luck there. It’s easier to break down a smaller lake anyway and you can focus your efforts on a couple key areas that should produce something given enough time.
Hope this helps and good luck to your boy! I understand the addiction!
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

I would recommend Camanche and Berryessa. These two lakes have been in hibernation and have giants in them. You will see giants coming out of these lakes this year, Camanche had many double digit fish caught there last year. Throw a big Hud
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

New Melones and Huddelstons seem to be kicking em out right now
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Linehand

Post by Linehand »

Thank ya guys for all the responses and info
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

The Motherlode lakes are always good for big bass. I have always liked Don Pedro for large bass and as several have said March and April are the months to catch them. While throwing the big Huds will get you a big fish don't forget swim jigs and even large plastics for the right times. Not sure about how you fish but I have caught several large fish throwing a 7" wacky senko to bass I watched follow my swim bait up.

Good luck on the hunt.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Pat

Post by Pat »

I second Collins lake, they do regular trout plants and the lake is close enough to you to do last minute trips. Get good rain gear and consider going out in stormy weather. Use good sense to be safe, but those big fish and others often get active as fronts come in. Also consider going over to East Park reservoir West of Maxwell. It does not get major tournament pressure, but it used to close in the Winter. Not sure if it still does. They have a Facebook page where you can ask questions. https://www.facebook.com/eastparkreservoir/

Pat