Minn Kota Ultrex??

JMV

Minn Kota Ultrex??

Post by JMV »

I'm looking for some feedback from you guys that have been running the Ultrex for the past year or longer, how is the unit holding up overall? Any issues with cables breaking, circuit board failure, spot lock not working or any other unforeseen issues?
I'm still running the Fortrex 112 with no issues the last 2 years and I'm looking to move to an Ultrex if the technology and durability is tried and true.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Ifishalot

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex??

Post by Ifishalot »

Been running my unit for a year and have had not a single problem. Best decision I've ever made for my boat!
bustout

Post by bustout »

2 years. No issues. Best trolling motor I have owned. Spot lock is now “must have” for my trolling motors. Can’t do without it
Tony M

Post by Tony M »

I've had mine for four months now. I do get a slight shaking at low speeds, 1 thru 3. It also vibrates more at higher speeds than my Fortrex did. Not totally happy with it. I do like the spotlock feature.
Tony Mello
JMV

Post by JMV »

Tony M wrote:I've had mine for four months now. I do get a slight shaking at low speeds, 1 thru 3. It also vibrates more at higher speeds than my Fortrex did. Not totally happy with it. I do like the spotlock feature.
Tony Mello
Has it had that vibration from day one of owning the unit?
Tony M

Post by Tony M »

JMV wrote:
Tony M wrote:I've had mine for four months now. I do get a slight shaking at low speeds, 1 thru 3. It also vibrates more at higher speeds than my Fortrex did. Not totally happy with it. I do like the spotlock feature.
Tony Mello
Has it had that vibration from day one of owning the unit?
Yes
biteme

Post by biteme »

I just sold mine with my boat. That said, when I buy another boat it will have a ultrex. Best TM I've ever used.
Devon8604

Post by Devon8604 »

Tony Mello
Are you using an eliminator prop nut?
TravisH

Post by TravisH »

I’ve been running the Ultrex for 3 yrs.. The only issue I had was after 2yrs of fishin grassy stuff on the delta I snapped a cable. The nice thing was having the remote or even the app on my phone you can still operate so your day isn’t shot..
Tony M

Post by Tony M »

Devon8604 wrote:
Tony Mello
Yes, I’m using the eliminator prop nut.
JMV

Post by JMV »

TravisH wrote:I’ve been running the Ultrex for 3 yrs.. The only issue I had was after 2yrs of fishin grassy stuff on the delta I snapped a cable. The nice thing was having the remote or even the app on my phone you can still operate so your day isn’t shot..
The cable breaking at the two year mark is something i'm worried about. It's not a hard fix, but equates to more down time being off the water. I understand cables break periodically on any unit, but I ran a Maxxum 80 for 14 years on the Delta and Clear Lake and never had a cable snap once...and it's still going strong. It seems cable snap is an on going issue with the Ultrex from what I have researched so far. Hopefully Minn Kota is addressing the issue and developing a more reliable cable steer system.
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

Tony M wrote:
Devon8604 wrote:
Tony Mello
Yes, I’m using the eliminator prop nut.
I believe this is the source of the vibration. I put one on and the vibration started.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
TravisH

Post by TravisH »

JMV wrote:
TravisH wrote:I’ve been running the Ultrex for 3 yrs.. The only issue I had was after 2yrs of fishin grassy stuff on the delta I snapped a cable. The nice thing was having the remote or even the app on my phone you can still operate so your day isn’t shot..
The cable breaking at the two year mark is something i'm worried about. It's not a hard fix, but equates to more down time being off the water. I understand cables break periodically on any unit, but I ran a Maxxum 80 for 14 years on the Delta and Clear Lake and never had a cable snap once...and it's still going strong. It seems cable snap is an on going issue with the Ultrex from what I have researched so far. Hopefully Minn Kota is addressing the issue and developing a more reliable cable steer system.

I found out some good news... Around Febuary last year MinnKota addressed the issue and changed the style of cable wihich is suppose to be a lot stronger. I have a newer unit that has the new style cable that I have a season on so far, we will see if this cable out preforms the older version...
BS'r

Post by BS'r »

Had mine about a year after 17 years using the Fortrex styles.

For lakes they are perfect, for the delta they are good. Only issue IMO is in shallow water. It's too noisy going left and right without going forward very far. I use my power poles now when fishing the quiet skinny water. The fortrex was very quiet and better in this application if your trying to sneak around.
Ranger519v

Post by Ranger519v »

There's a lot to like about the Ultrex but as a mat/punch fisherman, I'd never have one on my boat. I've fished up front on two different boats that had the Ultrex and for me, the noise of the power assisted steering was beyond acceptable. Won't matter for most fisherman and most situations but it sure matters to me for my style of fishing.
Bob
===========================================
1997 Ranger 519DVS, 225 Mercury EFI, 12 and 9" HDS Gen 3s, 109 MG Tour, 10' Talons
===========================================
Tony M

Post by Tony M »

Tony Mello
Looks like I have a bad armature. It is in for repair and under warranty. That explains all the shaking.
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

Ranger519v wrote:There's a lot to like about the Ultrex but as a mat/punch fisherman, I'd never have one on my boat. I've fished up front on two different boats that had the Ultrex and for me, the noise of the power assisted steering was beyond acceptable. Won't matter for most fisherman and most situations but it sure matters to me for my style of fishing.
The excessive noise is not just annoying for the guys in the boat. Yesterday, I saw two guys on the front deck of their boat taking turns on bedfish with the spotlock on. I could hear it clearly 200 feet away. It's no wonder that they couldn't boat any fish.
biteme

Post by biteme »

toddmc wrote:
Ranger519v wrote:There's a lot to like about the Ultrex but as a mat/punch fisherman, I'd never have one on my boat. I've fished up front on two different boats that had the Ultrex and for me, the noise of the power assisted steering was beyond acceptable. Won't matter for most fisherman and most situations but it sure matters to me for my style of fishing.
The excessive noise is not just annoying for the guys in the boat. Yesterday, I saw two guys on the front deck of their boat taking turns on bedfish with the spotlock on. I could hear it clearly 200 feet away. It's no wonder that they couldn't boat any fish.
You cant be serious. Ive fished Ts and parked in front of the ramp at granite bay in the summer. We had wake board boats all around us with their music. Jet skis coming up to us asking how we were doing. All while catching fish.
I dont own a Ultrex anymore but when I did it wasnt that loud.
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

biteme wrote:
toddmc wrote:
You cant be serious. Ive fished Ts and parked in front of the ramp at granite bay in the summer. We had wake board boats all around us with their music. Jet skis coming up to us asking how we were doing. All while catching fish.
I dont own a Ultrex anymore but when I did it wasnt that loud.
All I can say is that is was really loud. We were the only two boats in the cove, and it was calm, but it was loud. I had my back to them the first couple of times that I heard it. I knew what the noise was. I turned to watch the motor to make sure, and it was exactly what I was hearing. Maybe their Ultrex was louder than normal? Fish in busy areas do get used to sounds and traffic, but it sure does seem like a lot to put up with.
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

Would agree with noisy! I came out of a Fortrex and thought that the Ultrex was noisy. With all the GREAT from the Ultrex, I figure somethings gotta give ! Another issue that I developed after a year was having was the spot lock kicking off, I think I got that taken care of by rerouting the ducer cables. Ultrex does not put up with even the slightest binding.
~ Tony