When will the spawn be on in CA?

Bass Pro Shopper

When will the spawn be on in CA?

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

With the storms and colder than usual weather we've been having, especially here in Southern Cal., I expect a late spawn. I'm thinking things will start turning on by mid April. What do you think?
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
WRB

Re: When will the spawn be on in CA?

Post by WRB »

When the water temps in the top 5' layer in protected wind areas reach 60-62 degrees the spawn will start, every lake is different.
Tom
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

Water temps between 58-70, moon phase, low/high pressure and sunlight are all factors
milehi

Post by milehi »

Personally think if you wait for the "perfect" water temp you're missing some of the biggest fish in the lake
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Water temps in Main lake areas at Casitas on Sunday were right at 60. It's already on but it will be tough as finding a needle in a haystack with all the cover. I went into the jungle and found shallow fish already. I usually get my best fish in the Jan./ Feb. timeframe. Something I've noticed about Florida strains....The don't seem to have read the book on when and what they are supposed to do based on water temp....They are always early. :wink:

Rip
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Kelly Ripa wrote:The don't seem to have read the book on when and what they are supposed to do based on water temp....They are always early. :wink: Rip
Ain't that the truth Rippa - In NorCal we are seeing fish in that winter transition to prespawn patterns - I would venture to guess the next full moon phase you are going to see movement to the bank. But right now as we type this there are big fish hunting the shallows fattening up and by the time the water clarity clears up your first wave of big ole hens will have done the deed and ya missed out. Id be out on the water this weekend and next weekend cause it can be magical and more importantly, it beats the heck out of working :D HAR
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
DDG

Post by DDG »

Id say just wait for warm weather, there are fishing starting to move up now. Basically fishing is awesome right now.