The Twin Tunnels Are Out?

WB Staff

The Twin Tunnels Are Out?

Post by WB Staff »

The Twin Tunnels Are Out.png
The Twin Tunnels Are Out—Berkeley Experts Say That’s a Good Thing

The extravagantly wet winter notwithstanding, California’s water woes are far from over. But recent moves suggest Governor Gavin Newsom is leading the state into a new era of water policy. Last month, he decided to scale back his predecessor’s decades-long effort, the Twin Tunnels, to deliver water from Northern to Southern California.

This massive project, known as the California WaterFix, was promoted by Jerry Brown as the solution to the state’s agricultural and urban water insecurity and environmental degradation in the Sacramento/San Joaquin Delta. Conceived as two 35-mile-long, 40-foot-diameter pipes buried under the Delta, the Twin Tunnels would’ve incorporated a great deal of concrete, steel, and machinery to move tremendous quantities of water southward.

Ultimately, though, it was a bridge—or tunnel—too far, even for Brown. And UC Berkeley water experts generally agree Newsom’s move away from the WaterFix is a pragmatic one.

“Jerry really wanted that legacy project, but he overplayed his hand,” says Richard Walker, a Berkeley professor emeritus of geography who has written extensively on state infrastructure, water, and agricultural issues. “The WaterFix was clearly a relic of the past. It doesn’t accord with either the will of the people of California or the actual way that state water management is moving.”

“Really, the idea that two massive tunnels would be built in the Delta was always—well, a pipe dream,” says Peter Gleick, a UC Berkeley alum and the president emeritus of the Pacific Institute, a water-oriented think tank. “It was always clear that you could get far better results spending much less money by exploring other avenues.”

Read the rest: https://alumni.berkeley.edu/california- ... good-thing
Kelly Ripa

Re: The Twin Tunnels Are Out?

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I wonder what WE paid for another of Jerry's pipe dreams to nowhere? Should have just built a dam like Dad. :!:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Oh trust me brother millions of dollars were spent and contractors and funds were spent. Now Newsone gets to payoff all of his pals - for a whole new plan.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

ash wrote:Oh trust me brother millions of dollars were spent and contractors and funds were spent. Now Newsone gets to payoff all of his pals - for a whole new plan.
Maybe they'll talk it to death! Or try to please so many people that it dies the death of a thousand cuts, like the Train to Nowhere.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I trust “Gruesome” about as far as I can I can throw him. He’s already trumped voters by dismantling the death chamber at San Quentin