Which Dobyn Rod?

Wilson

Which Dobyn Rod?

Post by Wilson »

I want/need a new jig rod. I’ll be fishing Berryessa, Lake Sonoma , Shasta and occasionally Clear Lake. Thinking everything from finesse to 3/4oz. I’ve been looking at the champion 734 and 744. Just can’t decide which is right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
JoeLanghans

Re: Which Dobyn Rod?

Post by JoeLanghans »

I use Dobyns 805 flippin sticks for jigs but I fish the Delta a lot. You should use a 733SF spinning rod for open water, finesse jigs. Go with 764C for all around jig fishing with 3/8-3/4 oz jigs.
ulysi

Post by ulysi »

Biggvic

Post by Biggvic »

735 Champion. You can always call Dobyns rods and ask them directly.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Thanks for the responses. I put a call in to Dobyn’s on Wednesday. All the guys are at the classic until Monday. I’ll do some more research on the suggestions. Again, really appreciate the input.
calmac

Post by calmac »

I've been using the 744 xp split grip. I throw 3/8 & 1/2 both finesse and mop jigs. Absolutely the best jig rod I've ever used. Nice tip for feel and plenty of thump. For sure it will handle bigger jigs.
BassinWestCoast

Post by BassinWestCoast »

I use the Champion XP 774c at it is hands down the best jig rod on the market. I personally like the full grip version over the split grip. If you fish a lot of 3/4 or 1oz jigs I would say step up a power but if you fish 3/8 and 1/2 primarily the 744 is the best rod out there.
goodwin clint

Post by goodwin clint »

Great question for a Dobyns jig rod..I've been in the game for many years along side with brother Mike..I switch rod company's bout a year ago and have now purchased many Dobyns Champion xp rods...(Gary does not know this so I'm not blowing smoke) Dont think you will find a better jig rod with any rod company than the Dobyns Champion xp 744 Jig Rod Special it is the perfect rod for that bait...Mike and I were always know as jig guys on Havasu so give it shot you will be very satisfied.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Well, after much thought, research and rod testing I ended up with a Dobyns Xtreme 744c. A great guy contacted me through a PM and sold me his almost brand new extreme rod. It is a beautiful specimen :lol: The people here on Westernbass are a great group of fellow anglers, clearly here to help each other out. Thank you again for all the responses and suggestions. I’ll keep this thread updated as to how this rod has treated me.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I almost forgot to mention that my very 1st Dobyns Rod’s I purchased was in 2009 (been many since then) :lol: when I was fishing the Western Rookie league. That was a great year!! Those now 10 year old Champion 705 CBMF glass rod and Champion 682 SF rod are still my favorite rods I own.
Skandyman88

Post by Skandyman88 »

784. I fish sonoma alot too