Delta Beavers

monte300

Delta Beavers

Post by monte300 »

Back in the day I used to see beavers cruising the surface in the early mornings quite often. I hardly see them at all anymore. Do the sea lions have a negative effect on beavers like they do big fish?
DDG

Re: Delta Beavers

Post by DDG »

I see beavers all the time, ive seen ones the size of a small bear before. I dont think their numbers have declined
Bassfishman

Post by Bassfishman »

I see them all the time at the Delta too, but I dont think they are beavers or otters. They are called Nutria. They are pretty destructive to the levees because they burrow. Not sure they eat LM or striped bass though.

Between them and the GD seals in the Delta the entire Delta system is at risk from invasion by species that are not native to the area and are predators to the fish that normally live there. Seals are not damaging the levees but they are eating everything in sight - LM Bass, Stripped Bass, Salmon
monte300

Post by monte300 »

DDG wrote:I see beavers all the time, ive seen ones the size of a small bear before. I dont think their numbers have declined
Ive seen big ones too, I always figured if a sea lion wanted to take one out they are probably equipped to do so.
SacRtrain

Post by SacRtrain »

"The beaver's diet consists almost entirely of cellulose in the form of woody plant material. Woody plants are nearly indigestible to mammals. Digestion is aided by microorganisms inhabiting the small intestine. Beavers eat the leaves, bark and twigs of trees such as aspen, willow and red maple and a variety of herbaceous plants."

Beavers don't have any affect on fish.
BigBassDaddy1190

Post by BigBassDaddy1190 »

SacRtrain wrote:"The beaver's diet consists almost entirely of cellulose in the form of woody plant material. Woody plants are nearly indigestible to mammals. Digestion is aided by microorganisms inhabiting the small intestine. Beavers eat the leaves, bark and twigs of trees such as aspen, willow and red maple and a variety of herbaceous plants."

Beavers don't have any affect on fish.
No one said they did...
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I was just curious if anyone has seen a dead beaver with a bite taken out of it?
bent70

Post by bent70 »

Ive seen a dead one....no bite though. I was thinking it was from when they sprayed and did the pellets last time in taylor slough. I see them occationally....had one scare the **** out of me night fishing on the dock, almost fell in.
Tail was min 24inlong by 10 or12" wide