Good starter fishing boat?

Boomhauer

Good starter fishing boat?

Post by Boomhauer »

Finally wanted to get my own fishing boat and stop mooching off my friends. Was looking at this 1995 Nitro 180 TF. Thoughts? :?:

https://sell-a-boat.com/boats/bass-boat ... -3268.html
th365thli

Re: Good starter fishing boat?

Post by th365thli »

While Nitros nowadays seem like well built boats, earlier Nitros had a bit of a reputation. I would look for a used 300/400 series Ranger or an older Skeeter or Champion. Those 300 Rangers you can get for a decent price and they're well built boats assuming the owner wasn't a complete asshat.
MT

Post by MT »

That motor is bulletproof but I'd be leary of everything else. I'd keep looking. Lots of boats out there. Good luck.
basshol

Post by basshol »

I own a newer nitro. But would stay away of the early 90's boat.
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

The older Nitros are bullet proof. My first boat was a 94 Nitro DC2000, no issues, solid hull. The new ones are cheaply made and very unfinished. I had a 2011 Nitro and had fiberglass and console issues Any boat that’s over 20 years old will have electrical issues. I’d buy this boat if I was new to boating and or bass fishing.
Lydia Pawlak

Post by Lydia Pawlak »

With the way economy is today, You can get a one great used 2000's bass nicer than this for 10-12k. Look at several boats, and test drive and have a boat service guy, check the whole boat out for you before you buy.. I personally have ride'n in several bass boat types. Ranger is the smoothest cadillac ride. Handles rough water well. Skeeter: Good hole shot, and well laid out, but did not impress me that much. Triton/Bass Cat: now those a nice boats... Stratos too. Stratos are fast boats period! very comfortable seats and have a really nice instrument cluster in dash for gps/fishfinder. Champion, not impressed. Seems lacking in detail, and small footprint for deck layout, and rear deck for the co-angler. Speed: Alison Bass boats. Race boat with a trolling motor basically. Any Bass Cat retains it's value, and is probably the best value. I would go for a mid 2000's Stratos or Nitro. Mid 2000's Nitro, with a 150 2-stoke motor will flat out run fast. Prop is very important, and I would get a custom made prop, and the high performance Jack plate. These can be added later you get your boat down the line.. Most fishable layout, Stratos/Bass Cat...
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

$12995.00 for a 95 nitro with a 115 Merc
That boats worth maybe tops $4000.00 and that's pushing it on the high side. There are ranger bassboats out there that are less money and newer than 95 if you know where too look. I just pick up a 1987 20' ranger with a 200 hp Merc with 2 graphs and motor guide trolling motor and tandum axle trailer and it runs well and I payed $2500.00 cash for it. Somebody always needs money and there always deals out there that how I found this ranger.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Original Lion collar jig
Building and fishing custom bass jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Check out my Basscat as an option for a good starting fishing boat.

bass-cat-pantera-classic-great-price-t121417.html

Nitros was designed as an economical entry point boat compare the two and you’ll see the difference.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Carol Knowles

Post by Carol Knowles »

I don't know much about the specs but it sure is pretty lol
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I look at boats and boat pricing every day. That one is way over priced unless that engine is very low hours. Pick a budget and how far you'll travel for one. Then look at any sales forum you can find. Here, BassBoatCentral.net, Traderonline.com just for starts. There's some guidelines listed on them too. Have a good idea of what you want and remember, you can always add accessories later. AND do not be afraid to walk away when its not in a condition that's acceptable. I"d try to stay in the 2000's so to avoid as much 'Wood" as you can. There's a lot of them out there.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

Mitch wrote: That one is way over priced unless that engine is very low hours.
Maybe you didn't notice but the engine is a 2015 model, so yes... very low hours.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Jeff C. wrote:
Mitch wrote: That one is way over priced unless that engine is very low hours.
Maybe you didn't notice but the engine is a 2015 model, so yes... very low hours.

It's still over 4 yrs old, so I'm talking low like under 50 hrs. so, Yea, but it's still overpriced !
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
WRB

Post by WRB »

Ideally the boat is original owner, garaged with low engine hours under 300.
Be prepared to change the electronics, batteries, trolling motor, trailer tires, etc and factor them into your budget.
Most glass bass boats mfr's after 1995 are all glass without glassed over wood transum and stringers.
Aviod any boat that has been used in salt water or stored outside. Have the engine inspected with compression check and do your homework and test drive the boat
Good luck,
Tom