Shipping rods

corey tolmich

Shipping rods

Post by corey tolmich »

Why won't you ship rods?? I go on bbc and shipping is a staple. I go on Western bass and seems nobody wants to ship rods. You really limit your market when you refuse to ship rods.
Just an observation.
DDG

Re: Shipping rods

Post by DDG »

some people do, some dont why are you ranting lol
corey tolmich

Post by corey tolmich »

Ha ha ha ranting is right. I find it odd if you want to sell any item rod, real, bait you would be willing to ship it. Add to cost and let it go. If I only sold products I'm my neighborhood I wouldn't get anything sold. Frustrating when you finally find that one thing you've been looking for and says local pickup up only. Rant over. Back to fishing.
jerrysfishing

Post by jerrysfishing »

Tell the seller you will pay the $30-$40 to ship the rod.
Burke

Post by Burke »

On top of the shipping costs, you need to add insurance costs to protect your purchase. You may not want to buy insurance, but I've had a shipping tube get damaged and the rod broken while it was being shipped to me. Without insurance, once you buy it, it's yours, and it's your loss $$$$$!!!!

I sold a lot of fishing gear that I wasn't using on eBay and ate the insurance costs instead of passing it on to the buyer. Shipping is not cheap.
jayceeprops

Post by jayceeprops »

Burke wrote:On top of the shipping costs, you need to add insurance costs to protect your purchase. You may not want to buy insurance, but I've had a shipping tube get damaged and the rod broken while it was being shipped to me. Without insurance, once you buy it, it's yours, and it's your loss $$$$$!!!!

I sold a lot of fishing gear that I wasn't using on eBay and ate the insurance costs instead of passing it on to the buyer. Shipping is not cheap.

exactly. i shipped a rod once. damaged. i didn't buy insurance. i ate the cost. that's the last time i ever shipped a rod.
i've been asked several times to ship a rod and each time i replied if they would pay for insurance. they always say no. so i simply don't offer to ship. i'm sure many rods get shipped without damage, but when it happens once to you and you get burned it leaves a sour taste.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Burke wrote:On top of the shipping costs, you need to add insurance costs to protect your purchase. You may not want to buy insurance, but I've had a shipping tube get damaged and the rod broken while it was being shipped to me. Without insurance, once you buy it, it's yours, and it's your loss $$$$$!!!!

I just got a rod off BBC, I communicated with the seller, asked him how he planned to ship, asked him if he was up on shipping rods, yep he said, rod delivered, tip broken... the rod was in a oversized tube ,Good, but it was just packed in newspaper at both ends, so with that its like a catapult inside the rod tube.
I explained to him that if you tape the rod to the inside of the tube at both ends and secure it, 99% percent of the time they will make it.
He shipped priority mail, he thinks he had some insurance, But it's the sellers responsibility to get the rod to you in the condition it was quoted when you buy.
I've requested a refund via PayPal, haven't got it yet, I'll give another day and follow though more direct next.
corey tolmich

Post by corey tolmich »

When I ship a rod and there has been plenty I wrap that thing like the kid in Christmas story. Butt and tip extra and main body all in bubble wrap to insure it's solid in the tube. PVC caps both ends. Never had a problem. I never get lazy when shipping. I have your money least I can do is go the extra mile. One time I got a rod luckily it was in one piece but it was literally a rod in PVC tube nothing else. Who does that!
jscarbr1

Post by jscarbr1 »

When I sell a used product, i want the potential buyer too see the item before they hand over their cash. Over the years I've learned that good/great/mint condition can be different for each person. So when I sell an item, I'd prefer a hand to hand exchange so I know the buyer has seen the item themselves and makes a decision based on what they've seen in person.
I'll ship, but I avoid it if possible.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

jscarbr1 wrote:When I sell a used product, i want the potential buyer too see the item before they hand over their cash. Over the years I've learned that good/great/mint condition can be different for each person. So when I sell an item, I'd prefer a hand to hand exchange so I know the buyer has seen the item themselves and makes a decision based on what they've seen in person.
I'll ship, but I avoid it if possible.

Yep. Most guy's don't want to go though the extra effort to pack and ship correctly.
Had a ss prop shipped to me in little more than a shoebox thick cardboard box... you can image how that turned out.
he had it insured for way over value... :wink:
Burke

Post by Burke »

Dave H. Even when a seller does his best to package an item, he doesn't control the shipping company or whatever happens when the item leaves his hands. The seller is not God.

The seller's responsibility stops when the shipper takes it.
Charles

Post by Charles »

There are usually plenty of people locally to buy w/o shipping. Shipping g is a pain in the ***, rods in particular. It’s a flat ripoff to ship a rod. I’ve sold a ton of gear on Westernbass and have never shipped anything. Maybe I’ve been lucky. Maybe we are fortunate to live in the heart of the best bass fishing in the country where so many perspective buyers are close by.

Charles
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Burke wrote:Dave H. Even when a seller does his best to package an item, he doesn't control the shipping company or whatever happens when the item leaves his hands. The seller is not God.

The seller's responsibility stops when the shipper takes it.
Disagree with you on this!
It’s sellers responsibility to get it to your door in the condition agreed upon, so seller can tack on fee’s for insurance, shipping containers that are overstated for the item shipped, PayPal service offers buyers and sellers protection as do shipping services.
Again to make a used item attractive to buyers guys will sell to your door priced.
So to save a buck they ship the cheapest way possible, and the outcome isn’t always best for both parties...
That why guys don’t want to ship rods!