Earthquakes and Bass-

WB Staff

Earthquakes and Bass-

Post by WB Staff »

Earthquakes and Bass.jpg
Earthquakes and Bass-

As Bass Fisherman there's no shortage of superstition, excuse or ego when it comes to either a good or bad day on the water. According to our infinite wisdomas anglers, Mother Nature either helps or hinders us, but in the grand scheme of things does it truly matter when it comes down to the hour, minute or fraction of a second it takes for a spot or fish to become active?

What prompted this article was the recent earthquakes we've been having in Southern California. When the ground decides to burp or fart, anglers and the general public decide to throw us into a state of emergency. We start freaking out thinking the world is going to end and more importantly the fish are going to stop eating. Don't let this sound as if I'm trivializing natural disaster as I personally know people affected in recent events, but when it comes down to natural phenomenon, we tend to take hold with authority and own the events as if known fact.

When it comes down to it. We speak through a learned experience of trial and error not pure factual evidence

When it comes down to the fishing side of things, for every action there's a reaction. Lately I've been reading many posts about whether or not the recent earthquakes are affecting the fish. To me, and for the sake of this discussion, I personally believe the shake in environment helps the fishing.

Read it all at the LastChanceTackle Blog: http://www.lastchancetackle.com/Blog/
WRB

Re: Earthquakes and Bass-

Post by WRB »

I don't believe you want to be on the water during a major earthquake.
The 9th is a earthquake day for SoCal. Feburary 9th 1971 was the Sylmar quake and that wasn't any fun at 6 am if you lived in the area or were at a local lake to bass fish. Thousand of people were evacuated below Van Norman dam becuase of concerns it would break at anytime.
January 17 1994 was another early morning major San Fernando Valley quake that made nearly impossible to get to the local lakes or get home if you waiting for the lakes to open. Was the fishing good those days, who would know or care?
Tom