Topwater Smallmouth Action

ttb31183

Topwater Smallmouth Action

Post by ttb31183 »

I think we all can say that topwater fishing is one of the best parts of summer. I agree with that and smallmouth on top is even more fun. On my last trip out to Long Lake outside of Spokane, we caught some nice ones and had our best luck with big topwater baits.

This was one that was close to three pounds and it absolutely crushed my big topwater. I believe it was the same fish that missed my buddy's bait just before that. It had all three trebles connected and was not going to get away. That is always a good sign that you are throwing the right bait. I took a few of the hooks out before I could safely grab her for the pic.

My buddy caught this four-pounder shortly after on another big topwater bait on a shallow flat with some boulders on it. It was a textbook smallmouth spot.

Long Lake is essentially a river, so there are plenty of channel swings, bars and current breaks. We did our best to find some current even though this late in the year it is pretty hard to find since there hasn't been much rain. We also looked for small flats near deep-water like the ones shown below.

Long Lake is an awesome fishery and I tend to forget about it in the summer. I hit it hard early in the year and again in the fall, but this was a good reminder that I should spent more time out there when it is warmer.
Tyler Brinks