Any experience wrapping or painting Talons?

Ranger519v

Any experience wrapping or painting Talons?

Post by Ranger519v »

I have a pair of 12' silver talons and I would like to customize them by either painting or wrapping.

My concern with a wrap is how much abuse the lower case takes on turns. I have mine set so that while running on plane, they clear the water by a few inches BUT when turning, they do dig in and grab water. In short time, I think this will lift edges of the wrap because I don't see any way to completely protect the edges.

So, I'm leaning towards painting but without proper prep, I could see problems with paint giving way as well. The cases are aluminum and appear to have a clear coat of something or other. Anyone have any advice on prep, primer, and actual spray paint. Looking to DIY.

Thanks!
Bob
===========================================
1997 Ranger 519DVS, 225 Mercury EFI, 12 and 9" HDS Gen 3s, 109 MG Tour, 10' Talons
===========================================
MikeR

Re: Any experience wrapping or painting Talons?

Post by MikeR »

If wrapped properly the wrap on your Talons will hold up just fine. When wrapped, 3M edge sealer or 3M edge sealing tape is used to seal the edge of the vinyl where it overlaps, ends, or is the leading edge such as the bottom of the wrap on a hull wrap.In addition, 3M's Primer 94 is a liquid adhesive that can be added to areas of the Talons prior to the wrap being installed, where extra adhesion may be required. It's generally used in deep contours of vehicles but we also use it on the edge of all boat wraps. In this case I would recommend this for the lower, leading edge of the Talons.

When choosing the wrap film, it's best to stick with Avery or 3M wrap film, both come in a 60" roll, have many color choices, and can be ordered by the yard from any sign shop in your area.

Mike
Always lookin' for mud lines!
https://signarama.com/locations/ca-ventura/
biteme

Post by biteme »

Dont paint them have them powder coated.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

biteme wrote:Dont paint them have them powder coated.
Great advice