any more big fish on the river?!

johnabsmith

any more big fish on the river?!

Post by johnabsmith »

I was just talking to George at Bay Tackle about how much harder big fish have been able to come by and snuck out right after with my old man. Just before dusk we made casts on my favorite stretch of river, and we swing at the same exact time. On my swing I boat flip a striper on a sweet beaver, which doesn’t happen often. When he swung, something swung back. I PROMISE YOU a whole tullie clump lays over then I hear the braid start ripping off the spool. After what seems an eternity I reach down and grab a lip with both hands. didn’t have a scale but I caught one just shy of 12 on a previous trip and this was EASILY bigger (photo does not do it justice, almost didn’t want to show it!). It was just his day and as he said, “guess I just been living right.”

only fished 5pm-dusk all on a 200yd stretch. super hot day, incoming tide, super big waxing gibby. 2nd best was 6# and caught multiple good fish all old school flipping breaking down tullies fishing fast with accuracy. easily one of the best days in life.
Attachments
0AF5C056-C3C9-46D9-B4BC-15ED7454C3DE.jpg
monte300

Re: any more big fish on the river?!

Post by monte300 »

In honor of Caleb, "any cast can be a giant.....peace"!!
Topwater All Day

Post by Topwater All Day »

That is a monster! Congrats on the great day with your pops!
Rob Ridge
Folsom Bass Team
WAUTE

Post by WAUTE »

That's a good one! Very nice fish and story.
BiggieSmall

Post by BiggieSmall »

Nice fish. Congrats!
TRIXGOTAFISH

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

That is GREAT to see CONGRATS!

I wish i could fish out there more at night that's for sure LOL
WRB

Post by WRB »

No scale and no measurements, too bad the bass looks like a teener. Nice photo!
Tom
Ps, use pieces of you line if you don't have a tape to measure the fish length and girth; length X length X girth divided by 1200 = weight in lbs within 10%. Length with mouth closed, girth dorsal fin down.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

WRB wrote:No scale and no measurements, too bad the bass looks like a teener. Nice photo!
Tom
Ps, use pieces of you line if you don't have a tape to measure the fish length and girth; length X length X girth divided by 1200 = weight in lbs within 10%. Length with mouth closed, girth dorsal fin down.
Thanks for that formula Tom. Like so many things, I used to know it by heart.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

Mark, I came up with LXLXG /1200 formula after trying to make IGFA formula LxGxG/800 didn't work well for the DD bass I was catching back in late 60's to early 70's , the actual weighed bass didn't come close to the IGFA formula. Being a engineer by trade I used my log of DD bass and experimented with various simple formula's that came close to actual weight of bass. The LXLXG /1200 works for bass. The key is the bass must have it's mouth closed and laying on a flat surface. The length measured from the tip of the closed mouth to the end of the tail, like a cull me board. The girth is simply around the widest area with the dorsal fin down. Weight is only as accurate as the measurements. Nothing is better then a certified scale, but the formula is close enough for bragging rights.
Tom
Last edited by WRB on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Tom, now that you show the original formula it seems more familiar, but I cant say for certain. I do remember that whatever formula I used got pretty close to the weight of the fish on the crappy hand held scales I had back then.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY