What's your favorite thing about the Delta?

monte300

What's your favorite thing about the Delta?

Post by monte300 »

I've been fishing the Dirty D for around 30 years and I remember when I started there I struggled hard. My cousin told me to keep going back that I would eventually get better. I believe you pick up little subtle things about moving water when fishing a river that must be learned by doing it. No written word or advice from someone seems nearly as good as on the water experience. Because of my schedule I'm only able to fish around 5 hours every couple of weeks and because of that I want to spend every minute of that time fishing techniques that I love to fish. The thing I love most is that I can have at least some success year round force feeding fish squarebills and lipless crankbaits. I once caught an 8 pounder at 2:00PM on a 100+ degree August day in 3 feet of water. What lake can one do that on? Oh sure it's bass fishing and some days I'm the windshield and other days I'm the bug. I don't have time to tournament fish and quite frankly even if I did it would force me to fish techniques I don't enjoy. So basically, I would be donating my entry fee. I haven't even touched on the potential to catch a giant. What is it you like best about the Delta?
ash
SpeedBump

Re: What's your favorite thing about the Delta?

Post by ash »

Great Question Monte - for me it's that i truly believe with any given cast that i can hook a giant! The Delta has provided me with the best days of fishing and the worse - sometimes back to back. There is a mystery to the Delta, it's never the same to me. I love the sounds, and sights watching it feels really up close and personal vs a lake where im staring down at the graph more than immersed into the fishes environment.

There a lot of great memories for me on the Delta and I get to be with them when im out there. Damn i love that river.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
monte300

Post by monte300 »

ash wrote:Great Question Monte - for me it's that i truly believe with any given cast that i can hook a giant! The Delta has provided me with the best days of fishing and the worse - sometimes back to back. There is a mystery to the Delta, it's never the same to me. I love the sounds, and sights watching it feels really up close and personal vs a lake where im staring down at the graph more than immersed into the fishes environment.

There a lot of great memories for me on the Delta and I get to be with them when im out there. Damn i love that river.
Even though I hate the fact that there are seals and sea lions on the Delta, it's pretty cool to here them surface and blow out sounds in the early morning hours. I also dig the wildlife I see on the banks. I had the good fortune of fishing Lake Baccarac in Mexico once and that is the only place I've ever fished where the largemouth bass fight harder than they do on the river.
Burke

Post by Burke »

My favorite thing about the delta is that you'll never know what you'll catch from cast to cast. Years ago, using the same Rat L Trap, within a week, I caught my personal best Black Bass (9.6 lbs), Salmon (28 lbs), and Striper (28 lbs). I've also caught catfish and crappies with that same lure.
sdavis24

Post by sdavis24 »

I haven't been in CA for long so the Delta is still pretty new to me. I've struggled with tides/current as a new variable, but it's getting better. Like others, I think every cast could be my next PB, and the fact that the Delta is so new to me makes me just love getting out there.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

The sunrises.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Bassjunkie17

Post by Bassjunkie17 »

First light.....fog on the water and a massive blowup on a topwater!
:D
nivanov30

Post by nivanov30 »

Unpredictability
WAUTE

Post by WAUTE »

Wakesurfers
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

WAUTE wrote:Wakesurfers
Hahaha Right up there with Delta Cruisers and the Poker Run.
CLEAN AND DRY
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Wakeboarders have made me appreciate traditional water skiers :mrgreen:
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

monte300 wrote:Wakeboarders have made me appreciate traditional water skiers :mrgreen:
Amen!
CLEAN AND DRY
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

I would guess shipping water south would be one favorite.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
AVG.JOE

Post by AVG.JOE »

String bikinis !
Custom rod builder/rod repair

Hook,Line and Sinker
2019/2020 A.O.Y
jscarbr1

Post by jscarbr1 »

I like to junk fish, I get tired of the same technique all day. The Delta allows me to tie on multiple baits and test them through out the day, constantly switching based on tide, depth, structure, water temp and the different water clarity you come across from slough to slough. Some days you get numbers, some days you get quality, some days you get both, some days you get neither. I love the challenge of figuring them out.
Bassfishman

Post by Bassfishman »

The seals - they are so F***'n cute.
John Bonon

Post by John Bonon »

As many have said. The unpredictability. I can catch black bass, stripers, catfish, crappie and apparently jellyfish....
JF209

Post by JF209 »

There are several, first off the chance at a monster fish on any given cast. I have a love-hate relationship with the tides but I do like the challenge of learning every trip out.
DarWise

Post by DarWise »

Having fished all the small lakes in So. California, I love the Delta because it's not all rocks! Don't get me wrong, I love rocks but I get tired of fishing rocks. On the Delta I love the variety of the cover available, love the nature, and wildlife, love that there are sunken boats and duck blinds that I can fish, and mostly I love the peacefulness, and relaxation of the whole experience.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

DarWise wrote:Having fished all the small lakes in So. California, I love the Delta because it's not all rocks! Don't get me wrong, I love rocks but I get tired of fishing rocks. On the Delta I love the variety of the cover available, love the nature, and wildlife, love that there are sunken boats and duck blinds that I can fish, and mostly I love the peacefulness, and relaxation of the whole experience.
You clearly don’t fish the Delta on holiday weekends! :mrgreen:
DarWise

Post by DarWise »

LOL I only fish the Delta 4 weeks out of the year and usually on weekdays, so there aren't many boats, skiers, etc. on the water.
Dave Brabec

Post by Dave Brabec »

Stripers are the only thing I miss about the Delta
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

For me it's the up close and personal style of fishing, flipping, punching and throwing frogs. I fish the motherlode lakes mostly and catching a 2 pounder on a drop shot in 40' is nowhere close to flipping into a tule clump with 65lb braid a big ol' hook and getting bit. :shock: