McClure Rip Off

StogieMan

McClure Rip Off

Post by StogieMan »

Went to McClure with 3 buddy's last Friday, we planed to fish 2 days at McClure then hit Pedro for Sunday. So Friday at o'dark 30 when we hit the lake we paid for launching as you are instructed, $15.00 a day for car and boat launch so $30,00 x 4

We stayed at the Barrett Cove area and rented 2 of thier cabins, these things are not cheap at $140.00 per night but there is something to be said for having the ramp only 2 minutes away!
McClure is operated (perhaps owned?) by MID, Merced Irregation District.

Around 2:30 we are done for the day and drive back to the park entrance to check-in to the cabins and this was the first "rip-off' of the day.
They charged us for 3 days of launching even though we told them we were only fishing 2 days and going to Pedro. The reply was we have experienced fisherman staying at our camp sites or cabins and fishing on a long weekend including Sunday without paying for launching the last day so we "automatically" charge 3 days.
By the way, the bite at Pedro was brutally tough!

After a useless discussion we all paid addional money for launching the 3rd day that we were not going to fish and checked in. After about an hour here comes the park Ranger and he says you each have a vehicle, the cabins only are allowed 1 vehicle per (they each sleep 5 by the way so WTH?) That was another vehicle payment for 2 additional trucks. Then he says you have 4 boats, thats extra as well, another fee.

Keep in mind this is a $140.00 per night "cabin" in November and they put the scres to you every which way to Sunday.

It's not that we cant afford it, we can. But the policy here from MID is not geared toward
recreation visitors at all. After talking it over we will stay in Oakdale the next time.
So Beware
Rant over
Whoopbass

Re: McClure Rip Off

Post by Whoopbass »

That's pretty standard practice for a lake to charge for all of that regardless if you use their facilities or not the entire time. Yes the cost was excessive but i'm sure the fees were listed somewhere even though in your situation it would be complicated to figure out the total cost.
I haven't fished that lake 5 times in the last 30 years and when I did it was just for the day in someone else's boat. That place is on my do not go to list.
Larry Hemphill

Good Memories

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I fished my first ever tournament at McClure with the San Jose bass club, many years ago. I've only been on the lake twice, but I just loved it for some reason. Probably amazing structure areas. I love all the foothill lakes in that area - fished them a lot in my San Jose years. Amador and Pardee are the only ones I fish now. I would still tow to McClure if it were not for the "new" California problem = traffic!!
bshort

Post by bshort »

There's a per vehicle and per boat fee daily, regardless of launching or not. Same at Pedro. Try Amador if you really want something to rant about.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

StogieMan wrote:Went to McClure with 3 buddy's last Friday, we planed to fish 2 days at McClure then hit Pedro for Sunday. So Friday at o'dark 30 when we hit the lake we paid for launching as you are instructed, $15.00 a day for car and boat launch so $30,00 x 4

We stayed at the Barrett Cove area and rented 2 of thier cabins, these things are not cheap at $140.00 per night but there is something to be said for having the ramp only 2 minutes away!
McClure is operated (perhaps owned?) by MID, Merced Irregation District.

Around 2:30 we are done for the day and drive back to the park entrance to check-in to the cabins and this was the first "rip-off' of the day.
They charged us for 3 days of launching even though we told them we were only fishing 2 days and going to Pedro. The reply was we have experienced fisherman staying at our camp sites or cabins and fishing on a long weekend including Sunday without paying for launching the last day so we "automatically" charge 3 days.
By the way, the bite at Pedro was brutally tough!

After a useless discussion we all paid addional money for launching the 3rd day that we were not going to fish and checked in. After about an hour here comes the park Ranger and he says you each have a vehicle, the cabins only are allowed 1 vehicle per (they each sleep 5 by the way so WTH?) That was another vehicle payment for 2 additional trucks. Then he says you have 4 boats, thats extra as well, another fee.

Keep in mind this is a $140.00 per night "cabin" in November and they put the scres to you every which way to Sunday.

It's not that we cant afford it, we can. But the policy here from MID is not geared toward
recreation visitors at all. After talking it over we will stay in Oakdale the next time.
So Beware
Rant over

Why I moved to Florida, rented Cabin for 2 days at lake $85 per night, included 4 boats and pickups parking and 4 launching for all 4 :D We showed up and moved into the cabin , the guy showed up next day to take our money
I am Happy in my retirement :D And there are more lakes than I will ever visit in Florida :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Gas is $2.39 a gallon and Boat Gas is less than $3 without ethanol :D
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
monte300

Post by monte300 »

My buddy moved to Southern Idaho launch fees are free everywhere in the state.