Trailer bunks repair needed

D1NONLY

Trailer bunks repair needed

Post by D1NONLY »

Looking to get my side bunks repaired on my Ranger trailer. Need new wood & carpet. Anyone in the Delta area that is mobile do work while I go fish.

Any help will be greatly appreciate.
Thanks
Hookset5

Re: Trailer bunks repair needed

Post by Hookset5 »

Ive only done my own trailer but I'm a carpenter by trade. I run a small finish carpentry business, licensed & bonded. Ive never done this professionally but Ive got the tools and the time. I would assume douglas fir, primered? Then staple the carpet on. bolt the bunks back on. What did you have in mind as far as wood species or fasteners?
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Hookset5 wrote:Ive only done my own trailer but I'm a carpenter by trade. I run a small finish carpentry business, licensed & bonded. Ive never done this professionally but Ive got the tools and the time. I would assume douglas fir, primered? Then staple the carpet on. bolt the bunks back on. What did you have in mind as far as wood species or fasteners?
I've done several sets of bunks, and always used pressure treated lumber, sst hardware, and 3M spray adhesive.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
D1NONLY

Post by D1NONLY »

Hookset5 wrote:Ive only done my own trailer but I'm a carpenter by trade. I run a small finish carpentry business, licensed & bonded. Ive never done this professionally but Ive got the tools and the time. I would assume douglas fir, primered? Then staple the carpet on. bolt the bunks back on. What did you have in mind as far as wood species or fasteners?
Pm sent Hookset5
D1NONLY

Post by D1NONLY »

mark poulson wrote:
I've done several sets of bunks, and always used pressure treated lumber, sst hardware, and 3M spray adhesive.
Do you do side jobs? Looking for someone to do this for me.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

D1NONLY wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Do you do side jobs? Looking for someone to do this for me.
If you're asking me, no, I'm retired, and not up to it any more.
CLEAN AND DRY
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

I have done mine , used doug fir , but I put two coats if penetrating epoxy on the boards , then carpet and install .
Only took me 30 minutes after beaching the boat .
Bassfishman

Post by Bassfishman »

Just wondering - should you use stainless steel staples??
WRB

Post by WRB »

Go online and look up boat trailer bunks, serveral video's, ETrailer pre carpeted bunks and Ultimate bunks etc. Caution Ultimate bunks are slippery and the baot can slide off easily.
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Bassfishman wrote:Just wondering - should you use stainless steel staples??
If you use 3M spray glue that's waterproof, the staples only need to hold until the glue sets. I used Arrow T50 staples, and they worked just fine.
I used pressure treated lumber both times, for two different boats, and they are still going strong.
CLEAN AND DRY
Bassfishman

Post by Bassfishman »

mark poulson wrote:
Bassfishman wrote:Just wondering - should you use stainless steel staples??
If you use 3M spray glue that's waterproof, the staples only need to hold until the glue sets. I used Arrow T50 staples, and they worked just fine.
I used pressure treated lumber both times, for two different boats, and they are still going strong.
Thanks Mark - thats good info especially the waterproof 3M spray glue.