So......A little info for an old fisherman....

Hardshell

So......A little info for an old fisherman....

Post by Hardshell »

Haven't fished for Bass since 2012. Starting to get the bug again after our move back to the mainland. Don't have much tackle as I sold most of it when we moved to the Virgin Islands. I'm noticing so many changes in almost everything, ie. Boats and Motors, Electronics, Rods and Reels and Baits. The changes I'm seeing are a lot in reels I still have some but will need to buy more. I guess I'm asking for advice regarding retrieval speeds I see the 6.2/1 and 7.4/1 but now there's the 8.5/1 what are the advantages of these retrieval speeds?
Patriot One

Re: So......A little info for an old fisherman....

Post by Patriot One »

Don't over think it go with a mid range retrieve and have fun getting back into it good luck!
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

Believe it or not, nothing has changed! The fish still bite the same, toy baits are the center of attention, bass boats are still over $50K, guys are still wearing advertising for free, electronics and gadgets are more popular than actually catching fish, California is still a corrupt liberal state, drop shot and Senko are still the top 2 baits in all of bass fishing, and you should go with a 7.1 reel.
Last edited by JoeLanghans on Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

JoeLanghans wrote:Believe it or not, nothing has changed! The fish still bite the same, toy baits are the center of attention, bass boats are still over $50K, guys are still wearing advertising for free, electronics and gadgets are more popular than actually catching fish, California is still a corrupt liberal state, drop shot and Senko and still the top 2 baits in all of bass fishing, and you should go with a 7.1 reel.
I agree with everything he said. And California is a corrupt state, just like the rest of them, because private money finances public office, both liberal and conservative. It is one dollar, one vote.
And 7/1 is a great ratio. You can slow down or speed up as you need to easily.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
fastfiat

Post by fastfiat »

JoeLanghans wrote:Believe it or not, nothing has changed! The fish still bite the same, toy baits are the center of attention, bass boats are still over $50K, guys are still wearing advertising for free, electronics and gadgets are more popular than actually catching fish, California is still a corrupt liberal state, drop shot and Senko and still the top 2 baits in all of bass fishing, and you should go with a 7.1 reel.
Pretty much spot on.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Hey Steve !!
Glad you're still around ! LOL New boats are crazy expensive, some tackle changes, IE Punching, Wopper Ploppers, Neko Rigging, Ned Rigging and a few more. Senkos and Drop Shot still catching good fish. Rods are about the same, Reels have made some changes but a 6:1 or 7:1 are most popular. Newer best changes in Trolling Motors with the addition of Spot Lock. Minnkota, Lowrance and Garmin making them. Price is $ 2600-3200 !! I'm running an Ultrex and it's hands down the best investment I've made in 20 YRS !!
Really glad to see you getting back in, GOOD LUCK !!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Steve nice too your getting back into bass fishing
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
WRB

Re: So......A little info for an old fisherman

Post by WRB »

Welcome back.
Catching bass is never about the newest tackle and lures, it is about location and timing and that hasn't' changed in my life time and I am old!
2012 would be 7 years, your tackle is probably a little older unless it was new when you moved.
8:2 Daiwa Tatulas came out about that time period when 6.3:1 was the norm and still is with majority of bass anglers. Rods were 7' on average, now 7'3", not a big change.
Spinning reels are more popular today with braid/FC leader combo, the Ned and Neko rigs have replaced darts and split shot.
I would put some fresh line on your reels and go fishing, the bass are still there with fewer big fish being caught.
Good luck,
Tom
barse41

Post by barse41 »

Welcome back Steve! The water is still cold if you fall in!!! :lol: :twisted: :wink:
theres a fine line between fishin and standin on a boat like an idiot
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Welcome back Steve!

As a lot of guys have already suggested lots has changed and nothing has really changed. The more recent reels are a lower profile, lighter and cast with more efficiency. I still have some of the OG Curado Bantams but i have been replacing them out over the last couple of years. Just from an ergonomic standpoint of being lighter and a lower profile.

For moving baits most are still using the 5.8-6.3 ratio reels - cranks, spinner baits, vibrating jigs etc... for single hook presentation the 7.3 is great you pick up more line with less reels of the handle gets a good hook set and more efficient especially when pitchin or senkos where you are making lots of short casts throughout the day. The 8.0 burner reels are really a niche reel - I have one that picked up for frog fishing and in the winter jerkbaits - the line pick up is too fast for most of my presentations. Check out rods too, the technology on rods has changed substantially in the last 5 years. Abu Garcia introduced the 3M Powerlux to their line and the strength and sensitivity is incredible.

The good part is that bass are still bass and some of those "old techniques" that you have those fish havent seen much of in the last few years so you may be ahead of the curve :D
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/