All Metal

ttb31183

All Metal

Post by ttb31183 »

I've made a few more trips to Lake CDA and Long Lake trying to capitalize on what is left of the fall bite. It is starting to get pretty cold so time is running out. Each trip I have been able to put plenty of fish in the boat, but it has been a "blade bait only" bite lately.

I keep throwing the swimbaits and drop-shot and catch a few, but every time I pick up the blade bait something bites. I can't count how many smallmouths I have caught with it, but it is the number of species that has been cool to see.

I've caught pike, crappie, walleye, trout, perch, "northern pikeminnow" and smallies on them in the past few trips. They all bite the same, but you can usually tell how they fight what species they are.

Here's one of several walleye I have caught on Long Lake recently. We never used to catch them there but it is usually at least one every trip now.

This was the shot of some crappie stacked up right before we caught a few. This Lowrance shot is proof that you don't always need the newest unit to still see fish if you get quality, to begin with. This was my buddy's HDS Gen 2 that still shows fish clear as day.

I haven't any giant smallmouth this year, but plenty of fatties in the three-pound class like this one have been biting the metal.

Hopefully I have a few trips left this year, but if we don't, it has been an awesome fall bite this year.
Tyler Brinks
BigBassDaddy1190

Re: All Metal

Post by BigBassDaddy1190 »

Are they eating it off the bottom?
ttb31183

Re: All Metal

Post by ttb31183 »

BigBassDaddy1190 wrote:Are they eating it off the bottom?
Yes pretty close to the bottom. Lift it up a few feet and drop back down. Many of the bites happen when it is falling.

Been targeting points and flats like this one.

Tyler Brinks