Fishing license cost rises

WB Staff

Fishing license cost rises

Post by WB Staff »

fishing license.png
Cost of a fishing license going up

It’s that time of the year when fishermen have to purchase a new fishing license. Like the cost of everything else, a new license is going to put a bigger dent in the pocketbook. In 2020 the basic license goes up to $51.02 and that doesn’t include $15.94 for a second-rod stamp. A steelhead report card will cost an additional $7.82. If you plan on going after abalone it will cost you $24.33 for a special punch card.

California has one of the highest fishing license fees in the nation. In comparison, Oregon charges fishermen only $44 for a license. Fishermen have complained for many years that they receive little service from the Department of Fish and Wildlife (DWF) for these exorbitant fees.

Full story from the Record Bee: https://www.record-bee.com/2019/12/24/c ... -going-up/
george

Re: Fishing license cost rises

Post by george »

Does anyone have the break down of where the fishing and hunting license money goes? I heard some years ago that less then fifty percent goes to wildlife habitat and Fish and Game enforcement!
I would almost bet that we would be appalled at where the majority of our license fees are applied, if the governor has anything to do with it we are most likely getting the royal treatment and our fees are going to pet funds of this California administration!

George
Wastemore

Post by Wastemore »

Fishermen have complained for many years that they receive little service from the Department of Fish and Wildlife (DWF) for these exorbitant fees.
heh!
We get "serviced" by DFG every chance they get.
SObassman

Post by SObassman »

California's may be higher for the basic license but Oregon charges $28.50 for a second rod and $46.00 for a Steelhead / Salmon tag. Oregon's reason for raising the fees every year is because less people are buying licenses and have to raise the cost to cover operating costs. I used to buy the steelhead/salmon tag ,but no more, not worth the cost to fish the 3 month season on my local river. Not sure the cost of Cal non resident but Oregon charges $140 for basic and $76.00 for steelhead/ salmon tag.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Required to take or attempt to take native or nonnative freshwater fish.

Resident Annual: $17.00
Resident Five-Year: $79.00
Non-Resident Annual: $47.00
Non-Resident 3-Day: $17.00
Non-Resident 7-Day: $30.00

In Florida it also costs a lot for a Lic. :lol:

And over 65 is FREE

But you guys get a lot more for you're money.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM