Used 250 Merc Pro xs Question

ironhavoc

Used 250 Merc Pro xs Question

Post by ironhavoc »

I am looking to buy a used bass boat, came across one I was interested in but was concerned about the hrs on the motor over 5700 rpm. Here is the print out from the owner I was sent of the last motor diagnostic. Let me know what you guys think?
Attachments
hrs.jpg
dvkawboy

Re: Used 250 Merc Pro xs Question

Post by dvkawboy »

Without knowing price of the boat or what not it’s hard to say . For me I’d rather have a motor that has been ran then sitting . The more it’s used the healthier it is . Looks like a healthy motor from the print out . Your call man , if you like it buy it but like I tell everyone buying a used boat always be ready to buy a motor . Myself included , that’s why I bought the boat I wanted .
kmah

Post by kmah »

Nothing wrong with that, if a person fishies some tournaments periodically they are going to run WOT. Depending on the year of the engine I’d say 21 hours at that RPM isn’t much. Is there still factory warranty remaining on the engine? If so I’d have zero hesitation based on that print out.

Good luck
ironhavoc

Post by ironhavoc »

The motor is a 2008

The two main concerns are the hrs in the upper rpm range (WOT) and the minutes on the low oil sensor.

So I wanted some other guys opinions

I can go look at it then get a full inspection and compression test if I like the boat enough.
dblume1

Post by dblume1 »

297 hours are low for a 11 year old motor. If the price is right, I would buy it.
BassNDucks

Post by BassNDucks »

Put it this way. Let’s say Ca Delta tourney, blast off to first spot is give or take 30 mins then the run back to weigh in, another 30 mins. 21 hours is 21 tourneys. Just saying. Looking at that print out the motor has life in all the power bands and was broken in that way. I would be wary of going WOT on a motor that has not experienced WOT.

Good luck with your shopping.