American White Pelicans on Clear Lake, California VIDEO

WB Staff

American White Pelicans on Clear Lake, California VIDEO

Post by WB Staff »

Northern California's Clear Lake is a haven for migratory birds. With a small resident population of white pelicans, some winters it balloons to thousands. For those that haven't seen masses of American White Pelicans, it is quite special.\I managed to catch this during one hour on Dec. 22nd, 2019 near Clearlake Oaks on Hwy 20 - apologies for the shakiness, but it was cold, I didn't have a tripod and I didn't want to miss the moment. This year has been a particularly spectacular year.

Some things I've noticed about the white pelicans, after seeing them migrate through for years.

They fly in squadron pattern or ribbons, typically in some type of group.

They make clicking sounds.

Their bones are hollow so they can't dive, rather they herd schools of fish and then scoop them up with their beaks. On silent nights, one can hear them beating their wings on the water.

A typical wing span can be 8 to 9 feet and they are purported to live up to 25 years.

When the bait fish are out, one will also see cormorants, coots, bufflehead, egrets, gulls and the occasional heron.

ILW

Re: American White Pelicans on Clear Lake, California VIDEO

Post by ILW »

Is this always the situation at clear lake. I dont seem to recall seeing this before but not that I am there every year at this time?
steve0806

Post by steve0806 »

Awesome video! Thanks for posting it!
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

@steve

Yes, we thought it was a pretty interesting aspect of one of the most famous fisheries on the West.
Larry Hemphill

Scary at night!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

When I used to do a lot of winter night fishing at Clear Lake, those birds looked HUGE in the front running light! If you didn't go too fast, they would move very quickly out of the way. Never sure if they were asleep or awake, but they always got out of the way in time. Sometimes they would leave a "reward" on your boat when they escaped quickly!
Dave Brabec

Post by Dave Brabec »

I was out yesterday, More bait equals more birds.The Redbud arm is filled with Grebes . Some winters more than others. The lake has so many big shad right now even the coots are coming up with them.Fish are really fat . Catching fish that look like 3 pounders that weigh 5. Water was 49 degrees at noon . Only caught fish on the Arig.
steve0806

Post by steve0806 »

Dave Brabec wrote:I was out yesterday, More bait equals more birds.The Redbud arm is filled with Grebes . Some winters more than others. The lake has so many big shad right now even the coots are coming up with them.Fish are really fat . Catching fish that look like 3 pounders that weigh 5. Water was 49 degrees at noon . Only caught fish on the Arig.
Amazing how these birds know this bait phenomenon is available. Truly, it is a wonder of nature.