Correct Trolling Motor recommendation 19ft 1996 Starcraft fishmaster

Kev_Roc

Correct Trolling Motor recommendation 19ft 1996 Starcraft fishmaster

Post by Kev_Roc »

I am looking to buy a TM but don't know what size TM would work best for my boat? 12v vs 24v. I fish lakes and the delta.
split172

Re: Correct Trolling Motor recommendation 19ft 1996 Starcraft fishmaster

Post by split172 »

For shaft length, measure from bow to waterline. Add 20 inches. Choose the closest shaft length to that.
As for thrust, my opinion is more is always better. Minimum, I would go 55lbs thrust but realistically I would do 24v, 80lb.

https://www.trollingmotors.net/blogs/se ... rust-guide
Dave Brabec

Post by Dave Brabec »

If you have room and proper wiring go to the 36 volt . You wont be sorry
JL

Post by JL »

I agree with Dave on the 36volt setup if you have room for the batteries. :D
Grncrestliner

Post by Grncrestliner »

Your boat is similar to my Crestliner. My current motor is 70 pound thrust and a 45 inch shaft. I will be replacing it with an 80 pound thrust with a longer shaft. The motor works OK on calm days on a lake but if the wind is bad or if there is a lot of current it struggles. So in my opinion a 24 volt system is the minimum and around a 50 inch shaft. Now I have been fishing 75 times per year for 13 years with my current set up so it does work, I would just be better off with a longer shaft and more power.
Kev_Roc

Post by Kev_Roc »

Grncrestliner
I looked at the Tracker Targas which are similar in size and they use a 60in shaft.
WRB

Post by WRB »

You have a aluminum V hull deep gunnel boat being used for bass fishing...right?
The shaft length needs to be long enough to keep the TM prop in the water during boat wakes and waves To prevent cavitation. 20" below the water line sounds like good advice.
Power you never can have too much so you run longer under 50% amp draw normally.
24V is minimum with 80-90lb thrust with spot lock feature.
Longer shaft over 50" TM requires more lifting power to get the unit out of the water and space at the bow to mount it.
Are you looking at Motorguide or MinnKota TM's with AGM gr31 marine batteries??
Tom
Kev_Roc

Post by Kev_Roc »

You are correct about having a V hull using it for bass fishing. I don't have a lot of room for batteries unless I keep them on the deck in a battery box. So your saying I need 2 group 31 batteries? I don't know what is better Minnkota or Motorguide any suggestions?
Grncrestliner

Post by Grncrestliner »

Kev_Roc wrote:Grncrestliner
I looked at the Tracker Targas which are similar in size and they use a 60in shaft.
My boat may not be as deep as yours and I know it is not as deep as some of the Trackers. Mine is a Fish Hawk. My brother uses a 60 inch shaft on his deep V aluminum and that may be what you need. Like others have said you can measure to your water line and then add the 20" to make sure you are deep enough to avoid cavitating. My current motor is 15" to the center of the prop below my water line. That is why my next motor will have a 50" shaft. I use two group 27 batteries and can fish 1.5 days without any issues. I have lots of front storage and could probably fit 3 batteries if I needed to. I rarely bass fish above the lowest speed setting but I do need the faster speeds occasionally.

My next motor will probably be the new Garmin. I am just waiting a few months to see how they work out.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Only you can decide on brands. Minn Kota TM is usually used with Hummingbird Sonar and Motor Guide with Lowrance sonar.
Go online at look at spot lock TM's within your budget.
I wouldn't consider a battery box on the deck, too many issues with wiring etc. Your boat many not have a raised rear deck and a low rear deck area that you possibly could use a box. Duracell makes a gr 29 AGM that is lower price and popular, wouldn't go smaller for 24V TM with 19' boat.
Tom