Best Bass Boat

Dee Money 916

Best Bass Boat

Post by Dee Money 916 »

What do you feel is the best bass boat to buy used under 20k and why?
JoeLanghans

Re: Best Bass Boat

Post by JoeLanghans »

Ranger RT178 or RT188
Why? Warranty, lower hours, newer boat, excellent quality, low maintenance, stable.
Dave Brabec

Post by Dave Brabec »

You are going to get different answers from everyone . Find a boat you like with low hours . Alot of good boats out there. some ride better than others and some are more stable fishing platforms.
For me it would have to have a 36 volt system and a Mercury
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Like prop man Mel Biggs used to say, "all boats are good but some are better than others". I love my 2000 Triton TR19. I'm not saying it's the best, fastest or slowest but it has a good ride and is a very stable fishing platform. If I were to buy another boat I would be very tempted to buy a Basscat
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

Basscat has the only transferable lifetime hull warranty I know of. If buying used, that would be a big consideration. Good luck.
Wiplash

Post by Wiplash »

I just bought a 2006 Ranger 519 like brand new still no Mark's for 20k New electronics, tires. Everything works. Wait till the spring people are going to be shopping for boats and getting rid of the old one.
Fidlplr

Post by Fidlplr »

lots of good points being made here. I fished as a non boater in the WWBT Pro Ams for three years. I’ve been in them all. I own a Champion 206 and am a huge fan of the ride, layout and all the bells and whistles it came with.
Ranger
Good ride
Great fishing platform
Heavy and not the fastest

Skeeter
It’s an good boat. I would consider a newer one. Not a fan of the older ones.

Triton
NOT a fan

Nitro
NOT a fan

Basscat
NOT a fan of the older models. I’ve heard the new ones are really good.

Champion
BEST ride
Good fishing platform
Layout and room is great

Don’t buy anything with an Evinrude

Just my opinions from experience.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I've never been in a Champion but I hear they have the best ride but not the most stable fishing platform?

I'm sure glad my 2000 Evinrude Ficht is a 175 and not a 200 or 225. I've had very little problems with it over the course of 20 years and I wouldn't hesitate to buy an ETEC based on what I hear about them. It took some getting used to but I now love the look of the G2. I can't get used to the look of the new Mercury, although I'm sure the quality is top notch like one can expect from Mercury. I wanted an Optimax for my boat but there was not one offered in 175 back in year 2000. Naturally there was a 2001 and I refused to put a 150 on my boat since it's rated for 175.
not4un

Post by not4un »

I have owned 2 Rangers, 1 Champion and now a 2017 Nitro Z18. They were/have been great boats. The only thing I did not like about the Champion was how close the seats are to the consoles.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

as much as I like the new Bass Cats I've notice they have really deep hulls. I'm not sure I like that feature. Drew over at Boatmasters told me the Bass Cat models with shallower hulls also handle rough water well.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Dave Brabec wrote:You are going to get different answers from everyone . Find a boat you like with low hours . Alot of good boats out there. some ride better than others and some are more stable fishing platforms.
To me when buying a used boat have a short list of what manufactures you like ie champion, ranger, BassCat. The key is going to be the condition and reports from the motor. The mechanical condition of the motor and obvious transom or cracking on the boat would be the driver. You can get a fairly nice setup in your price range, but keep your options open.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
monte300

Post by monte300 »

ash wrote:
Dave Brabec wrote:You are going to get different answers from everyone . Find a boat you like with low hours . Alot of good boats out there. some ride better than others and some are more stable fishing platforms.
To me when buying a used boat have a short list of what manufactures you like ie champion, ranger, BassCat. The key is going to be the condition and reports from the motor. The mechanical condition of the motor and obvious transom or cracking on the boat would be the driver. You can get a fairly nice setup in your price range, but keep your options open.
My best advice is to pay a pro $100 or so and get it checked out thoroughly
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

monte300 wrote:
Agreed i would make it contingent upon finalization of the sale. When i sold my boat i had a full service printed out report and that satisfied my buyers
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
monte300

Post by monte300 »

ash wrote:
monte300 wrote:
Agreed i would make it contingent upon finalization of the sale. When i sold my boat i had a full service printed out report and that satisfied my buyers
The only exception might be if you know the boat seller very well and know the full history of the boat and how the rig was treated.
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

For 20K, you should be able to find a solid, reliable boat. Key things I would focus on in this order:

1. Condition of boat and major components...seats, compartments, electronics, trolling motor, livewells, carpet, etc.
2. Motor
3. Resale
4. Ride & platform

1&2 are really tied and go hand in hand. Any of the top brands like Ranger, Champion, Basscat, Triton that are easily serviced where you live in CA is what is really important. Reliability is what you need in a boat and all the brands above are solid provided they are in good condition to start. Ranger remains the top boat for resale value and assuming it is in good shape...you are going to pay more to get it...but you will also get top dollar when you are ready to sell it.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the ride is better in this one or the platform is better in that one. In reality, they are all good for a first boat. Also, you are going to beat it up a bit as a new boater...so don't go crazy on finding the absolute perfect boat for you. I personally had an old Skeeter, then a Champion and finally Ranger. They all did fine and served there purpose very well. Ranger was the best because it was the easiest to get parts, etc.

The key is the motor on a used boat. You want it to be as rock solid as you can get it...because it is the most expensive component...especially for repairs. For CA, you will find that most boats have a Mercury on it. Find a Platinum Mercury repair center nearby and have them do a full history on it for you.

The most important thing and best advice is like someone already mentioned, take the boat in to a dealer nearby and have them do a full inspection, especially the motor. If you can be lucky, find out the dealer that originally sold the boat and call the dealer to find the details on the boat. You want to know if it had any major gelcoat/fiberglass repairs and a full history of the motor as mentioned above.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

My dad went though this process in 2015 and was at this price range. He decided on a brand new 2015 bass tracker 175, with a 75 Merc and now we've put over 500 hours on the boat. It's slow and small, but it has everything you need for a tournament and comes with a warranty. I've fished probably close to 100 tournaments days out of that boat, and almost qualified for the Classic in it. It's not a sexy option, but I've never been stranded and it's never had to go to the shop. If you fish clear lake much it really isnt an option though, the lake can get too big to be safe.
Last edited by Chad Sweitzer on Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
Fidlplr

Post by Fidlplr »

I would try and ride in some buddies boats if possible to see what you like. At least go look at peoples boats to see if you like the layouts. Figure out what’s most important to you ex..... ride, layout, fishability etc....
Number 1 for me would be motor
Number 2 would be if boat was garaged