Paca Craws / Hollow Baits

Hookset5

Paca Craws / Hollow Baits

Post by Hookset5 »

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone buries the hook tips inside their hollow craws like the Paca or Biffle-bug and have had good results with hook sets coming through the other side. I find its an ideal bait to make weedless but I also have doubts a fish will chomp it down enough to set the hook. Any experience with this?
Drakestar

Re: Paca Craws / Hollow Baits

Post by Drakestar »

No personal experience, but I know that the Tacticalbassin guys (or at least Matt Allen) bury the hook in Jackall Archelons and he swears he's never had an issue with setting the hook.
milehi

Post by milehi »

Throw those a lot in warmer months, no problem if you use braid
WRB

Post by WRB »

Most bass anglers are discussing largemouth bass when they say bass however both spotted and Smallmouth bass eat crawdads. Largemouth bass engulf a crawdad or your jig into the back of their mouth and crunch to kill it between the tongue and top of the mouth covered with tough cartilage with teeth. LMB don't normally bite craws using their lips, Smallmouth and spotted bass often bite a craw by it's claws and shake it so the bug drops it's arm to escape. Hook setting success becomes a timing issue; LMB you can't set too soon, spots and smallies a hesitation can make a big difference to get the hook back into it's mouth to kill the craw.
IMO it makes little difference if the hook point is in soft plastic, if the jig hook is sharp and back in the basses mouth. The key is detecting strikes and knowing when and how to get a good hook set.
Tom