Verado Motor

Kids&fshngtookmy$

Verado Motor

Post by Kids&fshngtookmy$ »

Hey all I’m looking for some advice on the Verado motor... Do I buy a boat with it or not? I’ve heard mixed reviews. Hoping the forum can blast it with knowledge and opinions. Thanks!

Specs are an 05 mercury Verado 250
fastfiat

Re: Verado Motor

Post by fastfiat »

Dan Daniel

Post by Dan Daniel »

I had a 2005 275 Verado and loved it. Tough as nails. Even after my lower unit hit something in the Delta and sheered off the complete lower unit the engine sucked up water and it got into the block. Put on a new lower unit but the water had damaged the internal. While I decide what to do I ran it like that for 6 months at 5000 RPMs. It still ran great and was very reliable. I finally purchased a new 300 Verado in 2012 and it runs great, gets great mileage and starts every time with one quick turn of the key in freezing weather or hot summer. The power steering of the Verado is very smooth like driving a Cadilac.
This is the only motor I will buy.

Dan Daniel
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

I had one on my Ranger Z21. It was the first year they were out and was the big deal from Ranger/Mercury. It ran great. However, it got terrible gas mileage when wide open. In fact, I had it when I fished a championship event on Lake Powell and couldn't do a long run due to the gas mileage. I would never buy another one due to that fact.

If you aren't doing big runs and ok with keeping the speed at 50 or so, you will be good. If you run on big water or expect to run wide open, I wouldn't get one.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com